Insurance - The bench in a bubble

ManWithDog

If you've ever despaired of the subject of Insurance and its negative impact on so much of our daily lives (scam claims culture, crippling premiums, disproportionate awards and so on) then a glance at today's Indo will really bring on a meltdown ! https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...eep-out-of-injury-payout-review-38920405.html

Minister D'Arcy made what I reckoned to be a reasonable comment indicating "the CIWG was available to offer whatever assistance it can should the chair of the Judicial Council's Personal Injuries Guidelines Committee decide to consult with it". In response, he received a written 'Buachaill Dana' note accompanied by Yellow Card ! She also trotted out the old catch-all Separation of Powers trope i.e. keep your snout out of the Judge's affairs.

It really bothers me that yet another Judicial committee exists to investigate Judicial decisions - self-regulation by another name - with no input permitted by the taxpayer, who pays these people's salaries and incredibly also pays for their excessive awards ! No committee like this will ever move to reduce insurance payouts thus affecting the income of their Law Library colleagues.

These Judges are utterly out of touch.

Why can't we legislate for the size of awards?

Back