INSURANCE LOADING ON 15 YEAR OLD CARS

Resurrecting old thread to see if this has improved in the last couple of years? There was some talk of this improving but I wonder if it had for anyone?

Seems nuts to be refused Insurance for a ten year old car. Lots of high end 09 cars will be perfectly road worthy for another decade, in comparison with a few cheap 141s which I'd be less confident of making it through the next couple of years.

Nothing got to do with the road worthiness of the car. Some insurers think there is an increased moral hazard if clients have an older car (though they probably won't admit as much)

Some insurers think there is an increased moral hazard if clients have an older car (though they probably won't admit as much)
I think they've been open about it. Too many cases of someone buying a car for 500 quid, and then rear ending a relative at a remote roundabout...

I had no problems shopping around for insurance on a 10 year old car last year (previous insurer increased premium 40% with no explanation), so I'll see how I get on this year when it's a year older.

I had no problem but only because I stayed with the same insurer. They told me if it had been a new policy they wouldn't have been interested.

Since changed the car.

I think they've been open about it. Too many cases of someone buying a car for 500 quid, and then rear ending a relative at a remote roundabout...

I had no problems shopping around for insurance on a 10 year old car last year (previous insurer increased premium 40% with no explanation), so I'll see how I get on this year when it's a year older.

How many of the relatives meeting at the roundabout had a full ncb though or the same car for 10 years? I think they arent bothered at looking close enough at the risk which points to lack of competition.

I had no problem but only because I stayed with the same insurer. They told me if it had been a new policy they wouldn't have been interested.

Since changed the car.

Sounds like a bit of a scam by Insurance companies. They know you're stuck with them so they jack up the premium.

Back