Health Insurance Insurance for couple

Healthinsurance

Hi all. I can't seem to get my head around health insurance so any help would be great.

I am married (31) and have health insurance with VHI, one plan starter day2day. My husband (32) has never had health insurance. I have an auto immune condition that needs frequent visits to 2 consultants. If I am to upgrade my current plan I think I need to wait 2 years before getting any benefit from the upgrade.
To make it more awkward I am still under my dad's name.... I know, I know. I'm trying to get it organised so myself and my husband are on the same policy.
I also have a medical card in case that impacts anything.

If anyone can point me in a solid direction that would be great. All the plans are very confusing and I can't seem to find a website that makes it clear.
Thank you.

Hi Healthinsurance,

Welcome to AAM. Quick question when is your renewal date and what kind of price range or budget do you have for yourself?

Snowyb

Hi Snowyb, thanks for your quick reply.

My renewal date is 21 January so I feel like I don't have much time to get myself organised. My biggest concern would be getting money back from consultants visits, the current plan I'm on means I only get 2 visits a year that I can get money back. To put it in perspective I spent €320 in 2 weeks to see my 2 consultants..... I see them about 6 times a year when things are going well.

My husband would be starting from nothing and could budget around €750 but hopes to get a basic enough plan for under that.
I have the same budget but would be willing to put more in if it was of benefit to my consultants visits.

Thanks for taking time to read. Hopefully it's not too vague.

Hi Healthinsurance,

There are a couple of options worth considering for yourself, one basic level and one that ticks all boxes. Details as follows;

1. VHI PublicPlus Care Day to Day plan; price 509per adult; all public hospitals only covered on this plan - semi-private room. 3 consultant visits x 60
per visit, 3 x gp visits 20 per visit, etc.

2. VHI PMI 45 10 plan; price 1288(price from 1st Jan 2020) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/ hi-tech hospital excess 250 per
admission, day case excess 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. The good news is that there is excellent day to day
refunds on this plan, 75% refund for unlimited consultant visits, 75% refund for unlimited gp visits, prescription costs 25 per year, and a list of other
medical expenses refunds etc.
NOTE: There is no waiting time attached for upgrading day to day expenses, allowable from date of switching.
You would have a 2 year wait for private hospital treatment/surgery just for your pre-existing auto-immune condition.
This illness would still be covered in public hospitals as per your current plan, no change there.
Any new illnesses/conditions arising after switching would be covered for the extra cover in private + hi-tech hospitals, no waiting.

Based on the information you gave, consultant costs 320 x 6 = 1920 per year. Refund available 75% of 1920 = 1440 per year.
Plus any other refunds you might have for gp, dental etc.
Compared to option 1 above with 3 x 60 = 180 refund, but also paying 1920 for 12 visits per year, you would gain overall by 480 per year approx.
It may be outside your budget, but keep in mind that the refunds are made on an instant basis, that means you submit your receipts straight away
via the app on a 2 monthly basis or whenever they arise. The refund is paid directly into your bank a/c.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

https://www.vhi.ie/pdf/myvhi/TOBPPC D2D V2 Oct19.pdf

https://www.vhi.ie/pdf/myvhi/TOBPMI 4510 V6 Nov19.pdf

Husband Options
The following link shows 3 options for your husband to consider with VHI. One basic plan (option 1 above), and 2 options including both public and
private hospitals.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Hope this helps with your decisions.
Snowyb

Last edited:
Thanks very much Snowyb, it's been a great help. I've been following this forum for a while and your advice is always so detailed.
Thank you.

Hi Snowyb, thanks for your help. We ended up going with PMI 45 10 for me and the €509 plan for my husband.
I'm hoping you (or anyone else!) could help me with my sisters health insurance, she doesn't have the time to go indepth into plans and like myself, finds it a bit overwhelming.

She's currently on VHI One plan Access Plus, due for renewal on 8th Feb. She's currently paying €820ish and this is due to increase.
She is mostly interested in day to day expenses, she has one consultants appointment coming up but hoping it won't be a continuous type of problem. It would be GP visits, Osteopaths, physio type of expenses she would be mostly paying. She would also want to option of maternity cover, more to have the option of going private if she wanted to. With her current excess she is not entitled to anything back for last years expenses and has the feeling of "why am I paying VHI when I can't claim anything back?"

If anyone has any suggestions for her it would be great. She's open to moving from VHI as long as she doesn't have to wait for cover entitlement.

Hi Healthinsurance,

For your sister, one option is to stay on VHI One Plan Access Plus and choose an add on which gives cover for day to day medical expenses.
VHI Healthsteps Silver @ 194pa;
I also included VHI Healthsteps Gold @ 339pa in the following comparison as it requires 2 options in the link.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MiwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzM0NCwzNDVdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

VHI One Plan Access Plus plan has good maternity cover already included.

Option 2;
A second alternative option is Laya Inspire Plan @ price 1140pa; Details as follows;
2. Laya Inspire Plan; price 1140pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 150 per admission and day case
excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, 50% refund for consultants visits, gp visits, dental, osteopaths etc.
Good maternity cover included.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

Any cheaper plans would have higher private excess per admission or a restricted list of hospitals covered.

Regards, Snowyb

Back