Inheritance and Education

Galway Joe

Just looking for peoples views on the following:
My eldest daughter has just finished college and is planning on doing a Masters Degree in the UK from next Sept for 1 year. This will cost - College Fees, Accommodation and Living expenses. She is about to receive € 20,000 in inheritance from her late God Father - would it be unfair to ask her to contribute some part to her education for this year as we paid for everything so far?
We also have a son in Cork in second year of college which costs - College Fees, Accommodation, Living expenses and motoring expenses (Insurance & fuel).
Son No. 3 is currently in secondary school (currently low expense).
We're a single income family.

You should certainly ask her to fund her own Masters - many families I know have arrangements where parents fund 3rd level, students fund masters - the students can work , save and maybe get a loan. If you fund your Daughters Masters you would be expected to fund all your children's Masters if they decide to take that route.

I would expect her too to spend that 20k on her Masters without a shadow of doubt, isn't she lucky she won't have to borrow for it, I'd imagine this was the sort of thing her Godfather intended it to be for.

100% she pays for her masters. Even if you could afford it, I would want and expect her to do so and you shouldn't have to ask her either.

If she cant see the right thing to do the education has been wasted on her. A single income family doing their best for everyone. It would be terribly selfish if she did not make a very significant contribution instead of leeching off the rest of the family

Why only 50%?
She should be aware of the financial demands her education has put on the family and do what she can to help.

Well, the OP suggested “some part”.

And if it was me, and I was thinking “hmmm, how am I gonna cover this?” and then my son or daughter inherited €20k, I think I’d suggest that we share the pain, provided the other part of the inheritance isn’t wasted on rubbish.

Back