income protection claim

Which GP is a disgrace ? the one that "stay(ed) there over time because nobody couldn't come to pick up me".

Or are you second guessing the medical assessment of the insurance company's doctor. Now Bronte you know I have great respect for your opinions on property rental and general common sense, but even I would be surprised if you could determine the OPs fitness to work based on this thread.:)

The OP seems to think that their medical condition is such that they can receive an income for life from the insurance company, and indeed that maybe the case.

It seems that the insurance company paid for some years and more recently wanted to investigate if the OP was recovered or recovering. Their medical assessment seems to think so.

One can be suffering from a condition on a permanent basis, that does not necessarily preclude a return to being fit enough to work. The insurance company is not being unreasonable in asking for further assessments.

The surprising thing about this is that after their medical assessment found the OP fit to work they did not cease payment.

In all this we are hearing only the OPs view. I have often thought that insurance companies try to avoid paying out, but to my mind this is not a clearcut case of that.

Honestly I am looking forward for them stop the payment so all this drama finally will be over and I can proceed through legal channels and let a third party make a decision because the insurance seems incapable (or unwilling) to do so.

Last edited:
Regarding arbitration I found this in the contract
If any difference shall arise between the company and the employers as to any matter relating to this policy such difference shall be referred to arbitration pursuant to the provisions of the arbitration act 1954 and 1980
not sure what this means but I guess this involves only the employer?
QUOTE ENDS

That sounds like a standard arbitration condition.
It does seem from the wording that it applies as between employer and insurer only.
I might say differently if it said insurer and policyholder if the term policyholder was defined to include employees.

A common problem here is that some employers will simply sit back and say that if the insurers say X well then that is also what we say.
The employers have responsibilities and rights in this situation and must not be left to renege by apathy or indifference.
Some policies contain a condition that sets a time limit between repudiation of a claim and the commencement of arbitration.
If you do not commence arbitration within any such limit the claim might be deemed to be abandoned.

I would urge you most strongly to now please consult a solicitor.
There are quite a number of legal issues raised by your problem and they need professional legal attention.

Hi in reading these posts with severe dread. I was paid IP from 'Irish' company through employers for 6 yrs and recently they have ceased payment saying I'm running a buisness. I've seen solicitor and am waiting for letters from my psychologists stating its occupational therapy truthfully it is but am wondering what the success rate of an appeal is? Theres no likelihood of returning to work I've a degenerative disease . Any advice.

Hi thanks for reply. I took up soap making as a hobby as recommended by psychologist and then am attending a local farmers market once a month where I sit at a table and yes hopefully sell my soap. The idea was to get out of house for my mental health and this seemed a great idea , so yes I have sold the soap. So I'm not sure if it's gonna stand up in an appeal. Regardless if I didn't make money or covered the cost of making it.

Hi Esmeralda, I am sorry this is happening to you. From what I understand you can't do any paid job when you are receiving the income protection. I know soapmaking and going out once in a month it is not a proof that you can work 40 hours a week but they will do anything to stop to pay you so you need to be very careful. I can give you a contact of a solicitor that is an expert in the field if you like.

Hi Esmeralda, I am sorry this is happening to you. From what I understand you can't do any paid job when you are receiving the income protection. I know soapmaking and going out once in a month it is not a proof that you can work 40 hours a week but they will do anything to stop to pay you so you need to be very careful. I can give you a contact of a solicitor that is an expert in the field if you like.
Thanks for reply. Yes I need to find a solicitor who knows this law. I depend on this.

Honestly I am looking forward for them stop the payment so all this drama finally will be over and I can proceed through legal channels and let a third party make a decision because the insurance seems incapable (or unwilling) to do so.
Wondering how you have failed with this . A year later now.

Back