Immersion problem - urgent advice required

Just the One

I had the immersion turned on the other day and it was not heating very well so I decided to lift the cap and increase the temperature. I noticed that it was a bit wet under the cap where all the wiring is.

I killed power and dried everywhere. Turned up temperature to about 55 degrees. Everything worked fine - water heated. I checked again 2 hrs later when I was turning it off and the roof of the immersion cap was a little wet on the inside. It was similar to condenstation.

Has anyonw any advice where this is coming from????

It is coming from inside the element of the immersion.
The heater element has corroded and there is a pinhole that has developed in the top of the immersion heater.

Get it replaced.

J

On a related note, who is best placed to replace the element in a hot water tank-electrcian or plumber?

Electrician.

Plumbing just involves taking out element using spanner and putting new one on using same spanner and some tape.

Electrical requires the correct element to be wired back to correct switch etc... Small element to sink and large to bath...

An electrician will never put the actual immersion heater on the tank, this is always the plumber's job and if I were doing this I'd use Boss white and hemp, never tape.

Back