iMAC 17" in my local Apple dealer €940 inc vat. Is that a good price?

danole

Spotted an iMAC 17" in my local Apple dealer yesterday for 940 yoyos inc vat.

What're they like & is that a good price?

I'm not really familiar with Apple products.

I hear they're better that PC's. Is that the case?

Thanks everyone!

Re: iMAC

On the apple online store they are 1,019.00 including vat for a 17inch, so that does sound like a good price if it was one of the newer 17inches. Macs are great machines and the new imacs are amazing.

Whether its better than a pc, well, it depends what you want to use it for.

One thing to be aware of is that you can't transfer your old pc software onto it so you'd have to buy the programs in mac version. However, you can buy Microsoft office etc. for it and use it similar to a pc. I use both pc and mac in work and my preference would def be for the mac. Mainly due to not having its performance ruined by viruses and worms.

if you have any other questions about them just ask.

Last edited:

I only use Mac and have to say they are brilliant machines. We have macs here in the office, one of which is at least 9 years old and still going strong - never had viruses or bugs. mac are a bit more expensive then PC's but you will not have any problems with them.

One thing to be aware of is that you can't transfer your old pc software onto it so you'd have to buy the programs in mac version. However, you can buy Microsoft office etc. .

Paddi, I think there is software available for Mac now that will run windows based software.Check it here [broken link removed]

If its cheaper than the Apple website make sure it is the new model with Intel dual core processor. The easy way to recognise the new version is thet it has a built in webcam at the top of the screen.

The other thing to watch is the new iMac has no dial up modem. If you dont have broadband you will have to buy an external dial up modem.

Having said all that they are a brilliant machine, easier to use far less prone to crashing and almost virus proof.

'Got the specs yesterday....
17"LCD,512MB expandable to 2GB,Intel GMA 950 graphics,AirPort Exteme wireless networking,Mini DVI out,Mighty Mouse & Apple Keyboard,1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor,24xCombo drive,built-in iSight video camera,80 GB ATA hard drive 7200 rpm,built-in stero speakers & microphone
I've gotta admit,all that doesn't mean a lot to me,but judging by the feedback I've been getting to my original post,it SEEMS pretty good.
I've got Broadband coming,& that's one of the reasons I want to invest in a new system.I should say that all we'll use it for is surfing,photos,downloading,pretty regular stuff,really.
So this particular machine would do the job admirably?!
Thanks again,everyone.

I'm a relatively recent convert to macs and only regret not doing it earlier. A joy to use and much more stable than windows. Good purchase.

'Got the specs yesterday....
17"LCD,512MB expandable to 2GB,Intel GMA 950 graphics,AirPort Exteme wireless networking,Mini DVI out,Mighty Mouse & Apple Keyboard,1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor,24xCombo drive,built-in iSight video camera,80 GB ATA hard drive 7200 rpm,built-in stero speakers & microphone

I should say that all we'll use it for is surfing,photos,downloading,pretty regular stuff,really.
So this particular machine would do the job admirably?!
Thanks again,everyone.

For that usage profile that spec should be fine. If you want to have lots of programs running at the same time you might consider upgrading to 1GB RAM.

Spotted an iMAC 17" in my local Apple dealer yesterday for 940 yoyos inc vat.What're they like & is that a good price?I'm not really familiar with Apple products.I hear they're better that PC's.Is that the case?Thanks everyone!
Where did you see this iMac as I would be interested in buying one. Thanks

a word of warning and a good word as well.
make sure it's not old stock and is a new up to date model.. because new units launched recently there could be a few oldies still floating around.. check the online prices and see if u can get it cheaper or if u are a student u may be entitled to a rebate/discount .these are extemely popular computers and we have 4 of the companies products at home.. mine is for work and the mrs and the kids have a laptop and very old rare imac between them.. it's very easy for the kids and if u are into digital photography,muic and home movies these are defo the machines to have..i do have an affiliation to Apple so administrator if you feel i am promoting ,which i think i'm not,just trying to give good advice,please remove my post.
ps never heard a bad word about this supplier galmac

Actually if anything the old model would in my opinion be a better investment. The G5 imacs are plenty powerful enough for any of the tasks mentioned and avoid the problems that the newer intel-based macs are having.

eurofan.. i agree on some counts but the new one does have the bells and whistles and is also up to date software wise and the built in isight ...

Built in isight is on my G5 imac (and how often would you use that honestly?), and numerous problems with the new systems would have me steering clear for the time being. A friend bought a new macbook and has had it back twice already with the dreaded random shutdowns, no end of software updates helped so it had to go back. Not to mention a long list of software having problems running on the intel mac osx. Plus the miniscule amount of software that has been recoded to take advantage of the speed hikes.

In case you haven't guessed i'm not a fan! I've never bought 'rev a' of any hardware regardless who it's made by and it's worked for me thus far.

The intel transition will eventually work out but given G5 based imacs and G4 based laptops are going for hundreds less i feel the stability and value is there right now. I see no pressing need for the intel systems at all.

That imac sounds like the curent, up-to-date 17-inch iMac. By the way, it will run Windows XP natively as well so you can have a relatively easy transition if you're a PC person. If you want to compare prices and specs visit [broken link removed].

I've never met anyone who regretted buying a Mac. Bear in mind that new models are usually announced in January at the annual MacExpo so that may be one reason why dealers are clearing out stock now. But for what you say you want to use it for there's not a whole lot of reason to wait for newer models.

Some people feels Macs are more expensive but generally you get a lot more computer for your money. Recent reports suggest that the Mac Pro (a step up from the model you're looking at) is actually a lot cheaper than a similarly configured Dell.

I've never met anyone who regretted buying a Mac.

So true. My better half was showing a friend of hers the ibook i got her last year. She hates computers and is convinced all she can do is break them. 10 minutes later after playing around with osx a little her comment was "why the hell hasn't anyone told me about these before!" :)

Having said that my other mate (who bought the macbook) reckons if he has to send it back a third time he'll throw it at me first! (though in fairness i did tell him to buy an older ibook second hand..)

eurofan..pity u are not a fan.. these are great machines and the kids especially find them easy to use..again,especially for the internet and iphoto

eurofan..pity u are not a fan.. these are great machines and the kids especially find them easy to use..again,especially for the internet and iphoto

Just so no-one misunderstands i am a huge fans of apples just not the new intel systems (yet). There's nothing you can do on the intel ones that you can't do equally well on the older ones (except the older ones won't crash! :D )

Huge amount of software available for kids no doubt, great platform for that.

Back