Illness benefit and claiming

Curiouscat2024

Hi .. I left my job on stress leave after working there for 10years. I went on illness benefit on a d off for the past month as some weeks I could manage going to work and others where just unbearable.

During my time off I began searching for another job, I trialed the job and felt I was still too stressed from the old place to be in a good headspace to work somewhere new, so I didn't return after those 3days.

The thing is that my doctor put in a cert for those days, even though I wouldn't of been paid as you don't get paid for the first 3days. And I was unaware I needed to close the claim.

Anyways even though I didn't receive pay from that job, it seems the company had already registered me with revenue, obviously then creating a red flag and they sent me out a letter. I rang the next day and explained I didn't know I had to close the claim before starting work, and he said it was fine and just closed it.

The thing is that I haven't still officially quit my job and I'm intending to do it tomorrow as I cannot go back there.
But my overall question is can I backdated illness benefit for the last two weeks I've not been working as I don't see my doctor till Wednesday. Or will this get me in trouble thanks?

Per citizens information -

You must apply for Illness Benefit within 6 weeks of becoming ill.

If you don't apply within 6 weeks, you may lose some of your payment. If there is a good reason for a delay in applying, your payment may be backdated.

I suffer from depression..
It kinda decides itself on whether I'm sick or not ..
I don't have much say I'm afraid.
I’m sorry to hear that but my point is that if someone is certified as being unfit for work and has claimed benefits for those days (whether payable or not), they’re not free to undertake alternative work on those days.

I’m sorry to hear that but my point is that if someone is certified as being unfit for work and has claimed benefits for those days (whether payable or not), they’re not free to undertake alternative work on those days.
It amazes me how many people fleece the social welfare network, but when a hard working person genuinely falls on hard times and tries to get back on their feet by working, it's frowned about.
Clearly I want to work.
This is the first time I've claimed anything ever in my life .. hence why the scenario that has occured has a occured, not because of deliberation ... But literally because I don't even understand how the system works.
I just wanted a new job that wasnt killing my mental health.

It amazes me how many people fleece the social welfare network, but when a hard working person genuinely falls on hard times and tries to get back on their feet by working, it's frowned about.
Clearly I want to work.
This is the first time I've claimed anything ever in my life .. hence why the scenario that has occured has a occured, not because of deliberation ... But literally because I don't even understand how the system works.
I just wanted a new job that wasnt killing my mental health.
No one is frowning on you - just trying to point out that you can’t submit a medical cert to claim benefits and work for any of the days covered by the cert.

I appreciate that you weren’t paid for those days but your potential employer submitted the paperwork to Revenue and put you in an awkward spot that, thankfully, you seem to have resolved.

If you’re available for and seeking work, perhaps you should claim unemployment benefit rather than illness benefit. This would allow you to take up work opportunities by simply informing DSP of the days you’re not unemployed. They might also be able to point you in the direction of work or retraining opportunities that would suit your particular circumstances.

Back