Illness benefit and claiming

Curiouscat2024

Hi .. I left my job on stress leave after working there for 10years. I went on illness benefit on a d off for the past month as some weeks I could manage going to work and others where just unbearable.

During my time off I began searching for another job, I trialed the job and felt I was still too stressed from the old place to be in a good headspace to work somewhere new, so I didn't return after those 3days.

The thing is that my doctor put in a cert for those days, even though I wouldn't of been paid as you don't get paid for the first 3days. And I was unaware I needed to close the claim.

Anyways even though I didn't receive pay from that job, it seems the company had already registered me with revenue, obviously then creating a red flag and they sent me out a letter. I rang the next day and explained I didn't know I had to close the claim before starting work, and he said it was fine and just closed it.

The thing is that I haven't still officially quit my job and I'm intending to do it tomorrow as I cannot go back there.
But my overall question is can I backdated illness benefit for the last two weeks I've not been working as I don't see my doctor till Wednesday. Or will this get me in trouble thanks?

Per citizens information -

You must apply for Illness Benefit within 6 weeks of becoming ill.

If you don't apply within 6 weeks, you may lose some of your payment. If there is a good reason for a delay in applying, your payment may be backdated.

Back