illegal clamping, change in paid parking requirement, incorrect meters, no notice

This is the (shortened) reply I received from the parking enforcement officer

Following receipt of a request from a local resident for a review of the operational hours of the xxxx scheme, the Council conducted a ballot of residents/permit holders ........ The majority preference was to amend the operational hours from 08:00-18:30 Monday to Friday to 07:00-24:00 Monday to Sunday.

As you reside in xxxx, a building consisting of more than four housing units, located in a heavy demand zone, you were not included in the ballot of residents/permit holders in accordance with established Council practice, as you are not entitled to a resident’s parking permit.
The carrying out of ballots of eligible residents and permit holders is the standard procedure for ascertaining the views of residents with regard to the operation of residents’ parking schemes and is considered to represent the most efficient and straightforward method of liaison in these circumstances. All houses and all permit holders on this street were notified of the alteration to the scheme by letter dated 22nd January 2009.

The position with regard to the cost of purchasing residents’ parking permits is that the standard resident’s parking permit fee is set at €40 per annum. However, in the case of qualifying residents of apartments or converted houses comprising more than four housing units, with off road parking, the annual fee is €400. This higher fee was introduced to ensure that on-street parking in controlled parking areas, which is extremely limited in supply, is only availed of by qualified apartment dwellers who actually require street parking. However, in accordance with Bye-Law 22 (5) (e), you are not eligible for a resident’s parking permit, as indicated above.

The City Council, as the road authority, is not obligated by statute to carry out ballots of residents when introducing or amending parking controls on streets in the City. However, it is the Council’s policy to conduct such surveys in order to ensure local support when such schemes are initiated in residential areas or when the operational hours of existing schemes are altered.

My local councillor has also emailed me back essentially saying that I can do nothing.

So the answer after all this to-ing and fro-ing and emailing and phoning appears to be: tough.
I bought an apartment, and I have been excluded from important decisions that affect the neighbourhood, as have all my neighbours.
The views of residents are important....if you live in a house.
DCC seem to be of the opinion that we are entitled to a parking permit, as they have just charged us for one. I would be loath to challange the statement above saying that we are not, in case they decide to revoke the permit.
Also that DCC appear to have no onus to inform apartment owners of changes, whereas they contacted all the house owners in writing to inform them of same.

This whole situation is completely unsatisfactory, but there does not appear to be any legal way to challange it.

I feel completely disenfranchised.

Nicola

Re: ?illegal clamping, change in paid parking requirement, incorrect meters, no notic

When I lived in an apartment in Dublin 8 there was less than one parking space for each apartment.

How did that work out, surely there was chaos?

Ho ho..
After checking in a little more detail, it appears DCC are correct, and we are not actually entitled to a permit. I wonder what is going to happen to the permit application..rejected, no doubt.

The rent for a car space my area is €120+ per month (€1440+ per annum, minimum...)

AS I type, the road outside has one car parked on it (which is not especially untypical, there are usually several spaces available, and always have been, so there is not a rush on spaces there, despite the way the area has been zoned by DCC, as it is right on the border between high and medium demand areas).

Has anyone any suggestions as to where to take this from here..or am I barking up a dead tree?
(The road across the bridge from me, ie across the road, is medium density, and they can get parking permits)

Nicola

Apartment owners have always been excluded - I imagine it's something that may have to be looked into in the future as more and more people choose (or have to) live in apartments. I personally feel discriminated against by my home choice.

I think going back it was assumed a parking space would come with your apartment but we know with more recent apartment blocks parking was sold separately. Not everyone could afford to purchase and in some cases some weren't even given the option.

Where I live we campaigned via DCC to get some pay & display parking into the area. Our road should be a relatively quite cul-de-sac but due to free parking 24-7 we've continuous visitors to the area). The pay and display lasted for probably three months when it got removed - a social housing neighbour complained to our local councillor that they had been housed in an apartment and it wasn't their fault it didn't come with parking - low and behold the meters were removed and we were told it was unlikely to be put back if we went through the process again.

So while I've no solution for your problem my suggestion is to get friendly with your local councillors/tds and ask why you are being treated differently to other owner occupiers in the area - smacks of discrimination to me.

The rent for a car space my area is €120+ per month (€1440+ per annum, minimum...)

That sounds quite expensive....i'm renting an underground space in Chapelizod for exactly half that price. Where approximately is this in D8 (as D8 stretches along Conyngham Road which isnt that far from Chapelizod i'm surprised at the 50% difference)

Mathepac,
Do you have any suggestons as to whom I can (reasonably)canvess. (I don't think the counsillors really are interested, TBH)
Any suggestions very gratefully received!

Nicola

I wish I knew, as I've followed this thread in astonishment and reading the letter reproduced above I had visions of Nicky Campbell on the BBC's Watchdog talking about clampers in England.

I never knew councils had those kinds of powers. Maybe when Joe Duffy gets over his broken leg you might send him a copy as well as repeating the background information.

That sounds quite expensive....i'm renting an underground space in Chapelizod for exactly half that price. Where approximately is this in D8 (as D8 stretches along Conyngham Road which isnt that far from Chapelizod i'm surprised at the 50% difference)

I'm down by Portobello/Harold's Cross area, it's fairly pricey here :(

Also, as per Jacobean, not every apartment owner bouight a car space, as they were so expensive. Also the apartment occupancy exceeds the number of car spaces available, even though there aren't many apartments at all in the building.

Nicola

So..It has come to pass.

DCC have indeed refused us the parking permit as we are in an area of 'high demand'.

Every evening, the road outside is clear of cars. One car last night. None this morning. It's pretty much like this every day, as the only people that would park here in the evenings are people living in the apartments who don't have a car space (ie not large numbers, as it is a very small development)

I have started taking pictures to prove that there is low demand for parking on my road, with a view to sending the pictures to the parking enforcement department.

I just can't think of any way forward now: Any more suggestions greatfully recieved. There has been no further response from any of the counsillors I contacted.

Nicola

Nicola - It looks like those cute hoors in Cork might have found a way round this, by referring the council to the Ombudsman - see [broken link removed] for more details, and see what you can do.

Don't know if this is possible but could you ask a freindly neighbour (House owner) to get a parking permit for you? I know it doesn't reslove the actual problem, but might be better than nothing.

Hi Complainer, thanks for flagging that, I appreciate it.
I have given up on this though. I spent hours trying to get on to people, and get something done, but no one else living here did anything.
In fact, they mostly even ignored the emails I sent them from the various politicians etc, stating what could (or more realistically) couldn't, be done.
As I look from my window this morning, there are NO cars parked outside, same as every other day..Area of high demand, surely not.

Nicola
Ps I sent you a PM

Back