If you were to start afresh, where would you go & why?

Abbica

Hi, just wondering, if you could just up and leave, no house, no ties, where would you go to start a new life and why?

I'm looking forward to reading the responses to this.

For me, it's a tough one. I've travelled around quite a few European countries over the last few years, but I suppose visiting and living there are two different things. One thing I have noticed is that in virtually all the places I've visited, the infrastructure is far superior to Ireland. (Transport, internet etc).
A barrier is language, but I suppose you can learn that when you are living there. If the whole of Europe spoke English, then I'd probably move to Switzerland (four languages isn't enough! ).

I up and go back to the coombe hospital ,where I was born ,and really start afresh .

Failing that,I dont think I would like to live anywhere but Ireland,for more than a couple of years.

I love it here,bad as it can be..

In fantasy land ,maybe France,for the climate/food/outdoor lifestyle/great healthcare.

Australia would be good, lifestyle and all, the only thing being that you would have to leave family and friends, very long flight. Canada, but the winters are freezing!!

Fantasy land, France is right, have a bistro off a cobble stone street with pink flowers hanging outside, smell of croissants and fresh orange juice with a waiter serving it up called Didier!

Canada, but the winters are freezing!!

Very much depends on which part of Canada though - e.g. parts of the west coast have a similar climate to here, but drier.

Canada, without a doubt for me.

Irealnd if you could put a retractable roof over it like the millennium statium in Cardiff.

Other than that I would go somewhere that had proper seasons, Not just a constant Autumn.

I spent a summer in a seaside town in the US, on a J1 visa. I LOVED it. Beach beside my house, job with little responsibility where I earned loads of money, high standard of living for low cost, great food...I could have stayed - then again I never saw the town in winter

Fantasy land - somewhere cultural, with nice weather, with easy access to other countries, maybe somewhere in Italy.

I've always fancied living in Wales, somewhere scenic like Merthyr Tydfill.

I spent 5 weeks in total around BC and AB in Canada - I'd live there tomorrow. They seem to have everything. Wonderful outdoor lifestyle. Friendly people. The whole "frontier" thing really got me - some of it was just so rural and wild. It was a very exciting place to be. You felt that you were in the middle of nowhere and it was hours drive to anywhere. I liked that. Of course, thats holidays for you. I'm sure there are many down points as there are to living anywhere but hey, Canada rocks!

Coast of Normandy in summer. Coast of Cote d'azur in winter, spring and autumn.

I would make time every morning for one perfect cigarette and one perfect grand creme whilst reading the paper. I would drive a convertible, something old but classic and wear only black. I would eat fresh fruit, vegetables and seafood every day and have fresh flowers in my home.

And everyday I would bring my dog for a long walk along the beach and in the winter/autumn come home to a blazing open wooden fire and the perfect music on my surround sound system. I would not own a television.

Are you sure you're not confusing life with an advert for Scottish Widows?

(It does sound parfait though!)

Being honest, nowhere else. I don't do regrets too much.

But also because I've worked in enough places and enough countries to know that no matter where you are there's always a culture of disquiet and thinking the grass is greener everywhere else.

There are very few exceptions, but all countries have the rough with the smooth, culturally as well as economically. It's a matter of balancing what's most important to you and what you're prepared to give up for the benefits.

On that note, I like it here. I prefer it here to most other places. While it's not perfect and in some cases comically bad, it could be a lot worse.

If I ever find utopia, maybe I'll change my mind. But even with the option of a fresh start I wouldn't change a thing (well maybe one or two things).

Sounds gorgeous. You forgot the wine though .

Are you sure you're not confusing life with an advert for Scottish Widows?

(It does sound parfait though!)

LOL.

In this fantasy I would not be a widow. I would not be married but would have a lover.