If/ when I am liable for pension abatement

Doodlemoll

I retired with 40 years PS service, pension is 26k which is 50% of final salary. A few months as a retiree took up a temporary role in civil service. Weekly gross is 594 with yearly increments. I have 12 months completed. Don't want to fall into the abatement net. The CS role is full time and being temporary its not eligible for shorter working week which would bring the salary down and under abatement threshold.

On the face of it you probably are liable. Did you have to give details of your PS pension when you were being employed in the new temporary role? Your employer should have checked. I think you were also under obligation to inform your pension department.

Just a side note - it is not your salary that could potentially be reduced - it is your pension.

There are some exemptions from abatement, eg, teachers.

Last edited:
My understanding is that it should be abated and you will owe money. Even if you did do the shorter year it would still be abated. It is not as simple as saying that as long as you are not earning more than your final salary you are OK. Check it out before you end up owing too much.

Back