If a retailer is not showing unit pricing SI 639 2002 who do you report it to?

Tesco Ireland Limited has pleaded guilty to two sample counts of failing to comply with consumer protection law in how they displayed the price of products offered at a promotional price to its Clubcard holders.

And a paltry fine.

The legal costs will probably hurt them a bit more, although District Court costs probably aren't all that expensive?

Tesco was ordered yesterday to pay the legal costs of the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) and a donation of €1,000 to the Little Flower Penny Dinners charity.

The legal costs will probably hurt them a bit more, although District Court costs probably aren't all that expensive?

Tesco was ordered yesterday to pay the legal costs of the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) and a donation of €1,000 to the Little Flower Penny Dinners charity.
It's still a paltry sum. CEO is on over €10 million a year. That amount wouldn't deter a small operator. I don't know what CCPC costs were so that would be a consideration. Would they have been greater than €10k?

One shop I go to from time to time make it very difficult to read the unit price. It's right at the edge of the display. I've noticed in another place the ink is a little faded.

It would be interesting to see how the CCPC compared to regulators in other Member States. They must be one of the worst. We need a strong consumer group to exercise powers under the collective redress / representative action directive

Supermarket maths keeps my brain engaged.

I also used it to get the kids to practice maths. They still do it.

Soft drinks… 2l bottles.. so many offers, 3 for €5, 2 for €4.. 5 for €whatever… and cans and 1.25l bottles of the same… in pack of 6, 12, 18.

Same with crisps

Constant maths.

Soft drinks… 2l bottles.. so many offers, 3 for €5, 2 for €4.. 5 for €whatever… and cans and 1.25l bottles of the same… in pack of 6, 12, 18.

Same with crisps

Constant maths.
The only solution here is to refuse to buy soft drinks and crisps. Mad I know...

It's still a paltry sum. CEO is on over €10 million a year. That amount wouldn't deter a small operator. I don't know what CCPC costs were so that would be a consideration. Would they have been greater than €10k?

Unlikely, but maybe the CCCP can add on the costs of sending inspectors to various branches of Tesco around the country.

I was interested to read that the judge had applied the Probation Act which, presumably, means that if Tesco are caught again they'll face a serious fine. The maximum fine in the legislation appears to be €3,000, but perhaps that could be applied to each breach in each branch which would certainly ratchet up the penalty if a judge decided to throw the book at them.

Instead of fining them the state could suspend their alcohol/tobacco licenses for X number of weeks with re-instate after inspection.

If they can't be trusted to price things properly then they surely can't be trusted with restricted goods that require even more responsibility from the retailer.

Instead of fining them the state could suspend their alcohol/tobacco licenses for X number of weeks with re-instate after inspection.

If they can't be trusted to price things properly then they surely can't be trusted with restricted goods that require even more responsibility from the retailer.

Fortunately, such overkill isn't provided for in the legislation.

Same with crisps

Constant maths.
My mum did that with us when we were kids. Closest to the actual amount on the till won a gold star - or a chocolate biscuit if she was being generous :D - but in reality it was the sibling rivalry and bragging rights that were the real prize.

Hate to say I still do this in my head at checkouts - this time its me versus the till and I call a win if I'm within 50c. :D

Tesco in the UK introduced unit pricing on the clubcard prices recently. Possibly there was a similar complaint there. But it was definitely needed

Back