Idiomatic, grammatical, spelling and other misteaks....

I have often heard people saying “Nordrun” Ireland but lately, some Irish TV presenters are pronouncing it this way.
Why can't any member of Sinn Féin pronounce "Westminster". I haven't checked Mary Lou, but certainly Pearse Doherty and Michelle O'Neill say "Westminister" (rhymes with "Yes minister"). Should I be generous and assume it's a Anglo-Hibernicisation from manaistir, or do they just not realise it has one syllable less than they think?

Hands up, im consistently using 'their' in the wrong context for 'there'. Even though I know the difference, when writing posts I invariably plump for the wrong usage and find myself correcting it frequently.

Udder dan dat ime ok width de od missed pelling or too!:)

I'm dyslexic so when I type something if I don't see words underlined in red I assume that spell check is broken.
I'm reasonably good with grammar and tenses.

An aimsir gnáthláithreach is what you are looking for.

I'm late into this thread but the above reminded me of a conversation I had with native Irish speaker from Spiddal, about the a style of speaking in Ulster. He maintained (and I had no basis to disbelieve him) that it stemmed from native Irish speakers earning English.

The context was hearing people saying things like "See you that there" or "come you here". It's in common usage in Donegal, specifically North East Donegal (Inishowen).

I was listening to Talking History on Newstalk on Sunday evening and a guest, a Professor of History no less, said “the proof is in the pudding”.

After that nothing he said had any value.
Was there a document of blueprint or master sample cooked into a pudding somewhere or was he just murdering metaphor?

Back