I don't understand option trading, can anyone explain it

RichInSpirit

I don't understand the mechanics of options trading, can anyone explain it in simple language please.
Thanks in advance !

Hi Rich

It's not simple unfortunately.

If you do get involved, start very low and see that you understand it first.

Brendan

You’re essentially talking about call options and put options.

A call option gives its holder the right (not obligation) to buy something at a particular price (the “strike price”) on or before the expiry date of the option.

A put option gives its holder the right to sell something at a particular price.

If I believe the price of an asset will rise, the former can make sense.

If I believe it will fall, the latter can make sense.

Say Apple is trading at $100 but I suspect that they’ll “do a Nokia”.

I might pay $5 for the right to sell Apple for $100 at any time in the next 6 months.

If Apple’s trading at $120 in three months, I do nothing and have lost my $5.

If it’s trading at $80, I buy it for $80 and exercise my option to sell it for $100.

You’re essentially talking about call options and put options.

A call option gives its holder the right (not obligation) to buy something at a particular price (the “strike price”) on or before the expiry date of the option.

A put option gives its holder the right to sell something at a particular price.

If I believe the price of an asset will rise, the former can make sense.

If I believe it will fall, the latter can make sense.

Say Apple is trading at $100 but I suspect that they’ll “do a Nokia”.

I might pay $5 for the right to sell Apple for $100 at any time in the next 6 months.

If Apple’s trading at $120 in three months, I do nothing and have lost my $5.

If it’s trading at $80, I buy it for $80 and exercise my option to sell it for $100.

most people - traders close out their call or put options before expiry date

OP , a key point about options is that one option represents a hundred shares so lets say apple stock is @ $ 175 today and you buy one call option with a $ 200 march 1st strike , lets say the option costs $ 40 , if apple is above $ 200 on that strike date , its " in the money " , if you dont close out the purchased option prior to expiry day , you are obliged to buy 100 apple shares which will cost you $20000 , your option which cost you $40 will likely be worth at least $150 ( im not sure can it be said with certainty how much it will appreciate ) so provided you close out your position before expiry date , you have seen a nice return from a small investment

which is why most people close out their option before expiry day , were apple to drop in value from today on , your call option would dissolve away pretty quickly to almost nothing , you could hold the option and not close out provided the stock price was below the strike price on expiry day , nothing happens and you save the $ 3 close out charge

options are like ice cubes left in a window sil on a hot day if the corresponding stock is not going in the direction you desire , if the stock is going in the direction you favour , you could see a return on investment in the hundreds of percent quite quickly , i trade options every so often , its my only form of gambling , maybe every few months , made 500 euro on bmw , vw and daimler a number of months ago from an initial investment of 100 euro , stocks were depressed at the time , had i held them until near expiry ,id have made a good deal more , most option traders would rarely hold options for that long , if a stock price is swinging in a volatile manner, you could see moves of 50% in the option price in a single day so many would buy and close out the same option a few times in the one day , ive never done that as im not a trader , option trading is gambling effectively

Last edited:
best way to get your head around them is to set up a fictional account. pick a range of companys some stable blue chip and some volatile. It's high stakes gambling and you can lose alot quickly.

best way to get your head around them is to set up a fictional account. pick a range of companys some stable blue chip and some volatile. It's high stakes gambling and you can lose alot quickly.

gambling it probably but its a stretch to call it " high stakes "

you could spend as little as the price of a lottery ticket on an option

Back