I don't think people understand seriousness of Ireland's problems

Would the last one out please turn out the lights.

As for the VdeP, I have relations who put may years into it but finally gave up after been sickened with the number of families they visited with large tvs and the latest playstations, but still claimed they could not put food on the table. That was in the early tiger years!

This budget will (should be!!) mainly cuts, they also have a very big problem with most workers been taken out of the (PAYE) tax net. All thanks to Berties policy of raising the thresholds over the years, to take the lowest paid out of the system.

Don't want to drag this off topic. I agree that there are people who spend their money carelessly and then look for handouts from charities or social welfare which would be better given elsewhere. What I objected to was Purple's dismissal of the entire VdeP as 'idiots'.

I think that the problem is that the Govt is still in place.

I wish it were so but listening to the spoofing going on among FG & LAB TDs - I honestly think they dont have the heart to make the hard decisions.

I am worried now though. I think we're in too deep.

Don't want to drag this off topic. I agree that there are people who spend their money carelessly and then look for handouts from charities or social welfare which would be better given elsewhere. What I objected to was Purple's dismissal of the entire VdeP as 'idiots'.

Or even "well meaning fools"

I think Purple probably just mixes in a very small social circle. Perhaps he should consider helping the V de P this year even if only to educate himself on how the other half live.

Or even "well meaning fools"

I think Purple probably just mixes in a very small social circle. Perhaps he should consider helping the V de P this year even if only to educate himself on how the other half live.

I've worked with them. I have also worked with other groups that help the homeless. I object to them giving Christmas hampers to people with a household income of €75'000 a year who have told them that they neither want nor need their help.
As for the "other half", it's more like the other 5%.

Granted, we are in hard times. Getting back to the original post I do believe Ireland is at a crossroads. Do we go down the road of high taxation or the road of unpalatable cuts.
The coming budget is probably one of the most important in the history of the state. I don't believe Ireland is as bad now as it was in the mid 80s but a bad budget now and we will get there.

So basically the people who let everything get to where it is are now the ones telling us that cuts are needed.

If we had had a general election I think the country would be more willing to take the pain.

Look I think all this talk of strikes is futile - the cuts will come and hopefully we can come out the other side.

I agree with this. People would have a lot more buy in to the recovery plan and would be more willing to get behind it if there was a GA.

People will also feel much better after venting their anger at wreckless politicians who are responsible for the mess.

And I think the global community would give us more support. At the moment, Cowen & Co are giving the world the impression that they are totally out of their depth. As a result, few members of the global community are willing to invest in Ireland Inc.. A change of leadership would restore confidence in this country send a message to the International community that Ireland Inc does not tolerate incompetence.

I agree with this. People would have a lot more buy in to the recovery plan and would be more willing to get behind it if there was a GA.

People will also feel much better after venting their anger at wreckless politicians who are responsible for the mess.

And I think the global community would give us more support. At the moment, Cowen & Co are giving the world the impression that they are totally out of their depth. As a result, few members of the global community are willing to invest in Ireland Inc.. A change of leadership would restore confidence in this country send a message to the International community that Ireland Inc does not tolerate incompetence.

Very much + 1

Pundits have been saying that if the government don`t implement the necessary cuts the IMF will come in and dictate the necessary cuts to us.This was viewed with horror by the same pundits,but what difference does it make who authorises the cuts?
Calling for a general election is futile and wouldn`t change a thing even if no FF T.D. was returned......we would still be in the same position.
Does anyone remember back last year when the teachers unions were up in arms over the teacher pupil ratio.....they have gone very quiet on that issue,being more concerned now about looming pay cuts.
The unions and the public can protest all they want...it`s like letting off steam and then the cuts will come and then the same people will gather to protest the wave of cuts that will come after that.
Charley Haughey once said that if you were low in money....it didn`t mean you couldn`t enjoy yourself and that is true enough.However he also demonstrated that you could have an extravagant lifestyle if one had plenty of dosh

So basically the people who let everything get to where it is are now the ones telling us that cuts are needed.

If we had had a general election I think the country would be more willing to take the pain.

Look I think all this talk of strikes is futile - the cuts will come and hopefully we can come out the other side.

Totally agree with both of these.

I want to see FF and GP gone.

I think you give people too much credit (excuse the pun). There's just no evidence of any situation historically where anyone has been happy to put their hands in their pockets not without a personal incentive and not when there's just too many other people to calim are to blame for the situation.

It wouldn't matter if it were zombie Abe Lincoln or zombie This post will be deleted if not edited immediately in power asking us to take a hit, we'd be calling for their heads.

Simply, there's nothing in it for me, not directly. You can tell me all that stuff about in 5 years, 10 years, my kids, grandkids, but what's in it for me right now apart from less money? And that's what it boils down to.

National day of protest? National Day of Everyone Else But Me.

The sooner we all put aside our need to blame someone and just get stuck in the better. We can point the fingers once we're back to owning 4 properties and several cars.

As to the internation view of Ireland, well don't believe everything in the papers. Look how much we have to borrow every week to service debt, there's no way on earth we'd be loaned that much at this present time if people didn't have confidence in both the country and (shivers) the government's plans.

We're competing against America and other nations far bigger and a far safer bet, yet this tiny country is still able to go in and get the money (something we couldn't do before Feb 09).

It wouldn't matter if it were zombie Abe Lincoln or zombie This post will be deleted if not edited immediately in power asking us to take a hit, we'd be calling for their heads.

:D Zombie This post will be deleted if not edited immediately!?!? :D He did rise from the dead once but I am not sure we'd call him a zombie if he did it again.

Latrade, thanks for the giggle...

let the IMF come in and make the cuts,..what do we have to loose at this stage!

Thats what will end up happening, as it lets the gombeen men of the hook. It will allow them to keep their heads down for a year or two while the cuts are being made. After which they will rise like a phoenix from the ashes to start running the country again with a clean slate.

Thats what will end up happening, as it lets the gombeen men of the hook. It will allow them to keep their heads down for a year or two while the cuts are being made. After which they will rise like a phoenix from the ashes to start running the country again with a clean slate.

If the IMF come in are you saying the government just stay as they are? What would they be needed for?

Comments regarding Vincent de Paul way over the top

When you've seen old women outside churches putting money box that they cannot afford to give in a collection and that money ending up with people who are far far better off than they are then you might change your mind.

Back