I can now only increase my rent by 0.6%. It used to be 2%!!!

If rent is increased today in a rent pressure zone, will it only be paid 90 days from now.

The former - it’s the date of the rent review, not the date the change takes effect.
Email back from the RTB on this question below.
I am sure Sarenco is correct and the RTB are incorrect.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email dated 22 July 2024.

The date the last rent was set means that it is the date the last rent increase became effective.

The date the new rent is set is the date the new rent becomes effective so it would be 26 November 2024.

The calculator is no longer capped at 2%, the 2% is now a maximum amount.

I hope the above information has been of assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us at Registrations@rtb.ie should you have any further queries.

Kind regards,

R……. O……

The date the last rent was set means that it is the date the last rent increase became effective.
This seems wrong. Section 20 of the Residential Tenancies Act as amended states that a rent review may be carried out no more frequently than every 24 months.

Section 22 is very clear that the rent review takes place when tenant is notified of new rent and only becomes effective after 90 days. For me the 24 month clock starts ticking once notice has been given, not 90 days later.

The calculator is no longer capped at 2%, the 2% is now a maximum amount.
This sentence contradicts itself.

What an utter joke of a state body.

Last edited:

The date the new rent is set is the date the new rent becomes effective so it would be 26 November 2024.
That makes no sense to me and I suspect this will trigger a lot of needless disputes.
What an utter joke of a state body.
Hard to disagree with that conclusion.

I wander if there is now a case that all my rent reviews over the years are all invalid
Considering the email I just received from the RTB, it’s hard now to see myself getting in trouble regarding using the incorrect dates when the RTB themselves don’t have a clue!!

Last edited:
Absolutely beyond belief that it is seemingly impossible to work out what the correct procedure is for something as simple as a rent increase!

Back