Hypothetical Q.If you don't want to work

Z

z104

I'm not referring to me but just say you wake up one day and decide not to work will the state pay you unemployment benefit.

Are you entitled to receive anything from the state and what is it you are entitled to..

No - if you make yourself unemployed you will not be entitled to receive social welfare.

How come so many people are on the dole when there is so many jobs out there. I pay a wad load of tax each year and it annoys me to think people are living off it without giving anything back to society.

Ireland actually has a low rate of unemployment in comparison to some other EU countries.

I actually thought if you were made unemployed you were entitled to sign on straight away but if it was voluntary you could sign on after 6 weeks unemployment.

SW is €185 a week i think and you have to prove you have been actively seeking work thought i dont think they are very strict about this.

Thrifty - If you are made unemployed through no fault of your own you are entitled to sign on straight away. You are probably right about the 6 week. I was basing it on a friend of mine but it may have had something to do with her stamps, she has given up her job herself and I remember this being a problem.

I was able to sign on when I voluntarily left a job due to wishing to relocate due to a commute I could no longer handle.

No hassles......

Bear in mind that to qualify for Jobseekers Allowance/Benefit then, among other things, you must be genuinely available for and actively seeking work.

How come so many people are on the dole when there is so many jobs out there. I pay a wad load of tax each year and it annoys me to think people are living off it without giving anything back to society.

What makes you so certain that those on the dole are not giving anything back to society? What value do you place on minding children, or elderly relatives, or people with disabilities?

What makes you so certain that those on the dole are not giving anything back to society? What value do you place on minding children, or elderly relatives, or people with disabilities?
If by "dole" you specifically mean Jobseeker's Allowance/Benefit then most or all of the categories of people would not be entitled to these payments - whatever about other welfare payments - since they would presumably not be available for and seeking work most or all of the time.

This is what I meant- Jobseekers allowance.
People that care for elderly/incapacitated/ill people are to be admired.

There are alot of people out there with the attitude that why bother working when the state will give you money for doing nothing. My wife to be works in a recruitment agency and she gets people asking her to sign the form to say they popped in on a certain day inquiring about a job. She nearly always has a job they could go for but 80% are not interested as the money isn't worth giving the dole up for. Albeit some of these jobs are in the 8-10 euro per hour range.

She nearly always has a job they could go for but 80% are not interested as the money isn't worth giving the dole up for.
How come? Individual JA/JB is a maximum of €185.80 p.w. which is about €10K p.a. The statutory minumum wage is €8.65 which is c. €17K for a 38 hour week full time job. I realise that somebody on JA/JB may receive additional payments (e.g. covering dependents, other benefits etc.) but could the total take from SW really add up to c. €17K or more in many cases?

If you factor in Rent Supplement, which could be worth up to €117 per week (maximum payable to a single person in Dublin, in non-shared accommodation), which ceases if the person takes up full time employment, you could see why some people turn down minimum wage jobs.

(€185.80 + €117) x 52 = €15,745.60 which is still less than €17K. Maybe tax/PRSI could swing it here or something?

(€185.80 + €117) x 52 = €15,745.60 which is still less than €17K. Maybe tax/PRSI could swing it here or something?

Duh 15,745 for nothing or 17k for a 37.5 hr week.

If it was an investment which has the greatest yield !!

Whats the incentive for people to get out and spend a week working and the cost of commuting when the difference is only that !

Duh 15,745 for nothing or 17k for a 37.5 hr week.
It's not €15,745 for nothing - it's for getting off your buttocks and looking for work.
Whats the incentive for people to get out and spend a week working and the cost of commuting when the difference is only that !
I doubt that most jobs are paying the minimum wage these days so the difference in practice is most likely a lot more in most cases.

It's not €15,745 for nothing - it's for getting off your buttocks and looking for work.

I doubt that most jobs are paying the minimum wage these days so the difference in practice is most likely a lot more in most cases.

You fail to see the psychie of the people involved, you are looking at it from your educated, confirdent in a skill and with a desire to work attitude.

Many "state artists" seem to see it the way I describe.......Its their perception that counts after all.

They only buttock extraction they must do is every time their benefit is under threat and do a Trainspotting type interview or attend a FAS interview.

Does any poster know the answer to this slightly different question please. If a person has become unemployed due to visual difficulties, and now qualifies for the blind pension (being visually impaired) but is still seeking suitable employment, can that person receive UB/UA in addition to the Blind Pension?

If they could claim both JB/JA and the pension then surely the resulting JB/JA income would mean that they would fail the Blind Pension means test or get very little as a result?

Back