Hughs Chicken run

Or maybe the pint should be cheaper? Do you know the cost base differential between free-range chicken production and the cheaper than a pint variety?

There is no 'should' about cheaper pints! I can only go by what was shown in that programme which said there wasn't a big difference in the cost base of free range versus battery chickens and that the consumer should only end up spending about £1 extra. Now unless the situation in Ireland is completely different and we pay twice as much for free range as in the UK (wouldn't surprise me!!), there shouldn't be that much of a difference over here.

I can only go by what was shown in that programme which said there wasn't a big difference in the cost base of free range versus battery chickens and that the consumer should only end up spending about £1 extra. Now unless the situation in Ireland is completely different and we pay twice as much for free range as in the UK (wouldn't surprise me!!), there shouldn't be that much of a difference over here.
Good point but do remember that there are economies of scale in processing (killing and plucking), packaging and distribution that add to the cost differential.
It is probably also the case that farmers are looking to make a bigger profit (or even a bigger margin) per unit, as the margins for the cheaper birds seem to be very low.

There is an article in the Irish Times today on the subject. The IFA says it costs producers an extra €1 euro in feed for each free-range bird but the mark-up in the supermarkets is substantially more. They claim that farmers just about about cover their costs. They get an average of 35c for every standard chicken and 60c for free-range birds. That is a crazy margin. I guess it is another example of supermarkets screwing both the producer and consumer. Putting it into AAM context, the bid-offer spreads on chickens is massive and supermarkets must be cleaning up!

I would say that 15/17 euro for a chicken is too exepnsive for the majority of people on an average wage.
I think it will remain as something for people on a higher wage to differentiate themselves from the people who cannot afford it.
Status symbol chicken if you will.

I thought the same. Bought an organic chicken in M&S last week for €10.25 (this included 25% off). So as a couple, who eat bigger than average portions we had roast chicken on Saturday night, thai curry on Sunday night and a chicken risotto Monday night. That in my books is a very very cheap chicken.

If a chicken is packaged as "organic" does that automatically mean that it's "free range"?

Under the UK's [broken link removed] yes, organic must also mean free range.

According to the Irish all organic birds are free range. Of course, these are independent certification bodies - I don't know whether organic must mean free range by Irish/EU law.

Back