HSE Respirators

My grandson, a vulnerable member of the community, has been waiting 5+ days already and that may stretch to 10+ to be swabbed plus the time it takes to get the sample tested, plus the time to communicate the results. But of course Leo, Simon, Holohan & Co are doing a great job according to those they hold in thrall of them
They have changed the criteria for qualification for testing as of yesterday in order to take this into account. People now have to have two of the symptoms, be a healthcare worker or be a member of a vulnerable group to qualify. Having a cold and no backbone is no longer good enough.
That should free up availability for people such as your grandson.
They are making this up mas they go along, changing procedures and rules as more information becomes available.

What exactly do people expect with testing? We have carried out over 18000 tests, got 14000 results and 94% of those tests have been negative. Of course every country would like to test more but people seem to think that setting up this system can be done overnight. What they have achieved and in comparison to almost every other country, our much maligned health service including much maligned managers and administrators have done a great job.

I have heard of people ringing GP's demanding a test and exaggerating symptoms to try and get a test. We still have people refuse to adhere to social distancing guidelines. We have parents who let their teenage children out without having a clue what they are doing. We have people using public transport for non-essential travel. I know of one person is bored in NY and so instead of isolating herself, has decided to come home to Ireland to be with her family. It is the ordinary person who will delay us coming out the other side of this and will lead to worse outcomes. It won't be the health service or the politicians.

Elon Musk got his hands on 1000 ventilators for Los Angeles sourced in China. Seems they have too many in China.

Of course they should not discard PPE. The point I'm making is that testing needs to be scaled up rapidly to cope with demand, appropriate patient management and use of resources.

Which is it? Wear PPE to protect themselves AND all the other patients they come into contact with, or stop wasting it?

Staff are using PPE around the clock to manage these possible cases, possibly wasting PPE if they are negative.

Remember, hospital staff will not be isolated despite regular and extended exposure to positive cases. They are being asked to check their temperature twice daily, and will only get tested themselves if they have confirmed symptoms. So you can be pretty sure some of them will be carrying the virus unaware while treating other patients.

The guidance from the FDA is that where no ICU/CCU Ventilator is available any similar device should be used. These include things such as C-PAP devices. They can be used to increase the oxygen levels in the air the ill person is breathing. If they are included the the generality of "Ventilators" then there is capacity to produce tens of thousands a week.

Matt Hancock UK Health Tsar has been caught out lying about the number of ventilators / respirators available to the NHS. He also lied about the progress being made by an industrial consortium including Ford, McLaren and others to create alternative sources. He said they'd be at volume production in a few days, they say they'll likely have a prototype available by the end of March and that it'll take them months to get to volume production.

Leo, Harris, Holohan would never to lie to us would they? I mean they fired O'Brien over the BreastCheck disgrace and that settled that and none of them or their counterparts were involved, were they? I mean based on their track records we'd have every faith in them? Who was the Minister for Health that over saw [Breast] CervicalCheck? Leo? Not that Leo surely?

Last edited:
Matt Hancock UK Health Tsar has been caught out lying about the number of ventilators / respirators available to the NHS. He also lied about the progress being made by an industrial consortium including Ford, McLaren and others to create alternative sources. He said they'd be at volume production in a few days, they say they'll likely have a prototype available by the end of March and that it'll take them months to get to volume production.

Leo, Harris, Holohan would never to lie to us would they? I mean they fired O'Brien over the BreastCheck disgrace and that settled that and none of them or their counterparts were involved, were they? I mean based on their track records we'd have every faith in them? Who was the Minister for Health that over saw BreastCheck? Leo? Not that Leo surely?

Have you any facts to back up any of those statements in your second paragraph or are they merely wild speculation for speculations sake?

Questions Bud, questions. Varadker Minister for Health 2014-2016 during the [Breast] CervicalCheck disgrace. All of paragraph one was carried in a BBC news bulletin tonight, Holohan is CMO since 2008, Harris took over from Varadker in 2016, so a long line of continuity stretching back 12/13 years, pre-dating the [Breast] CervicalCheck disgrace and covering the period when the incompetence surfaced and factual information was suppressed. "But no-one ever told me!", hands thrown in the air dramatically by all concerned. Any other queries?

Last edited:
Not doubting the first paragraph mainly because the UK situation isn't my concern.

Your "questions" however are simply wild speculation with nothing to back them up. I don't see them as being helpful or relevant as I don't believe that our politicians have been making any wild claims in relation to testing/supplies/figures etc.

Minister Harris claimed it was OK for thousands of people to travel to Cheltenham and return, now positive diagnoses for the virus from at least one of the attendees. Harris saw no need for special measures for the crowds that went.

The only predicator we have for future or current human behaviour is what happened in the past. Not perfect by any manner or means, but pretty much the only model we have. They lied about [Breast] CervicalCheck (as did the Chinese about the first signs of the virus) so they will lie again as suits their need to avoid responsibility for bad (or no) decision-making. QED.

Last edited:
We have the lowest number of ICU beds per head of population in the EU, despite having amongst the highest spend per head. If this crisis doesn't highlight the need for major reform in the structure and day to day work practices within the public healthcare system then nothing will.

They have changed the criteria for qualification for testing as of yesterday in order to take this into account. People now have to have two of the symptoms, be a healthcare worker or be a member of a vulnerable group to qualify. Having a cold and no backbone is no longer good enough.
That should free up availability for people such as your grandson.
They are making this up mas they go along, changing procedures and rules as more information becomes available.
I dont mean to be disrespectful at all and I hope macthepac's grandson is doing well, but if he is tested and is positive what happens then? He will be advised to continue self isolation. It will make no difference to his condition.
I sincerely hope he is doing well, and that he recovers soon.

He will need to be admitted to a paediatric ICU and will require access to a respirator, such is the nature and degree of his vulnerability.

He will need to be admitted to a paediatric ICU and will require access to a respirator, such is the nature and degree of his vulnerability.

You dont know that so I wouldn't panic. I have a relative with cystic fibrosis who caught it and didnt require ICU care. It was mild. Her healthy sister also had it and was admitted to intensive care. This was in the US though. There is no simple formula of if a certain person gets it, they will get it worse than somebody else. Otherwise we would just isolate the vulnerable and let the rest of us get it.

You dont know that so I wouldn't panic. I have a relative with cystic fibrosis who caught it and didnt require ICU care. It was mild. Her healthy sister also had it and was admitted to intensive care. This was in the US though. There is no simple formula of if a certain person gets it, they will get it worse than somebody else. Otherwise we would just isolate the vulnerable and let the rest of us get it.

(I hope everyone pulls through and that was v fortunate that it didn't hit your relative harder)

Not saying it's a simple formula but the vulnerable will be asked to cocoon \ self-isolate. Your post could be read as implying that certain groups are not considered vulnerable and hish risk.

An escalation of the lockdown will see old and vulnerable people “cocooned” in their homes for weeks on end as the emergency inevitably worsens.

(I hope everyone pulls through and that was v fortunate that it didn't hit your relative harder)

Not saying it's a simple formula but the vulnerable will be asked to cocoon \ self-isolate. Your post could be read as implying that certain groups are not considered vulnerable and hish risk.

An escalation of the lockdown will see old and vulnerable people “cocooned” in their homes for weeks on end as the emergency inevitably worsens.

It doesn't imply that at all. Everyone knows who the vulnerable groups are. All I saying is that there is no rule saying that someone with an underlying condition will get really sick and require ICU care. That's not how it works. It is easy to cling to the worst case scenario which we all seem to do but as with everything, there are plenty of exceptions to every rule. Soneone with an underlying respiratory problem or something else is a higher risk but lets not start acting like it is a straight death sentence.

a stupid question
am i understanding correctly the ppe equipment is being reused, what would be used to clean them completely of this bug ,microwaves or just standard disinfectants ?

a stupid question
am i understanding correctly the ppe equipment is being reused, what would be used to clean them completely of this bug ,microwaves or just standard disinfectants ?

It varies depending on the make up of the equipment, and they're still just figuring out what works. Much of the PPE they wear was designed to be disposable to reduce the risk of contagion, so it was never designed to be reusable or washable. They're seeing guidance from manufacturers on what's effective without compromising the protection.

Back