How to split mortgage

Dave46

Myself and girlfriend have recently split up, we have a joint mortgage together as well as 2 small children, we are still living together as neither of us wants to move out or can afford to.
We have a joint bank account which my wages and her job seekers allowance go into and all bills and mortgage come out of.
What would be a fair split towards the payments between us? Id rather us each have seperate accounts now and transfer money over each month for bills etc
Thanks

Virtually impossible to say without knowing more. Her being at home means no childcare costs? That may change I presume at some stage.
Try come to a amicable decision. Personally I’d try to decide outgoing as a proportion of income. You earn more so you should pay more would me my thoughts from a moral point of view

Hi yes no chilcare costs, currently i bring home 2200 per month and she gets 1180 per month. Mortgage and bills total around 1600 per month

Definitely would suggest mediation to sort all of this out. You could argue split the balance after bills are paid. Or they’re paid proportionally. Try keep things as civil as possible. Esp while living together

As we will still be living together do you think this would be a fair split on bills

Out of our combined income i earn 65% and she gets 35% that would include all our bills plus mortgage we could then split anything the kids need and food, we could stiil have the joint account but my wages will go into my own account and i can transfer money every month

Back