How to crash a light rail vehicle.

• Thread starter Idol speculator
  • Start date
I

Idol speculator

Does Luas have points or do they use steering ?

Can anyone see any way to crash two light rail vehicles other than having a heavy accelerator foot ? I can't see any way it could happen without being a head on unless the outgoing driver pulled out before the incoming vehicle had sufficient clearance. Of course, one of the vehicles could have swelled up and got much bigger and bashed off the side of the other one.

€ 9 could have avoided the tragedy

There is a simple device that could have avoided the waste of money: a distance sensor.A device similar to the outside lamps that switch on when something like a tram gets near it.It could be used to reduce speed or make a full break once the safe minimum distance is not adhered to.Nine euros in LIDL.

Re: € 9 could have avoided the tragedy

Unless it costs squillions (much bigger than a billion) of euro then it cant be bought by this government. On a different issue how does the government spend 600K on new Merc's, whats wrong with the old ones, are they still 03D's????? with 20K miles on the clocks?

TDs

Well stobear, they have to waste our hard earned tax money on something. It was probably money left over after they paid the politicians and other scroungers.

crash

I would have thought it is not difficult to drive a tram and not crash

If it is on your track and getting smaller looking, it is going away

If it is on your track and getting bigger looking, it is coming towards you

I think Ted would have to explain it to Dougal but is he driving the train

Re:Crash

Wonder will an investigation be on the lines of:-
Don`t upset the unions.
Don`t upset the government.
Don`t upset management.
Bugger the public.

Off topic...When ..Oh when will they make public the report on the Wellington Quay incident.I want to know and I`m sure the relatives of the deceased want to know.

Re: Re:Crash

From Dublinbus.ie website, not sure when this statement was posted though:

The work of the Dublin Bus Committee of Inquiry to produce preliminary findings into the Wellington Quay Accident is well advanced and considerable progress has been made. The process is subject to a range of legal considerations and is at present being examined by a legal team. The work being carried out in this regard has meant that the timescale for publication of the report has had to be adjusted. The Committee regrets this delay as it is very conscious of its responsibility to all parties affected by this tragedy; especially the families of the deceased, the injured and the drivers, to publish the report as soon as is possible.

Wellington Quay Crash

The accident happened around Valentines' Day (from memory) and we were told the report would be published within 6 weeks.

I find the excuse a bit lame ... it is typical that public organisations just issue banal excuses. What *exactly* are the "legal issues". We're not all dumb you know.

Re: Wellington Quay Crash

We`ve really gone off topic ..but...
Article in Ireland on Sunday months ago.
It said bus behind went along narrow channel without knocking down street furniture (bus stop etc.) on footpath or hitting other bus.Sounds a little strange for a bus out of control.
Maybe there is an explanation.
There just may be an issue of extending rest periods in the hell of Dublin traffic.Stress levels of 7 or 8 hours of this a day must be horrendous.
Why are we waiting for a CIE enquiry?Sounds about as useful as a Garda enquiry.

Back