How to calculate means Disability Allowance

Benki11

Hi Everyone!
My partner is working and getting 500 euro per week after tax can someone help me to calculate her means ?
i am in receipt of disability allowance

“€20 per day (up to a maximum of €60) from work is deducted from your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant's average weekly earnings and then 60% of the balance is assessed as weekly means. The weekly means is then deducted from the combined total of your personal rate of Disability Allowance and the maximum Increase for a Qualified Adult and any Increases for Qualified Children”

so 500-60=440 ,60% of 400 = 264
our maximum rate is 337.70
so 337.60 - 264 = 73.60
so I would receive 73.60 euro per week in DA payment
would this be correct?

I woul appreciate any help to help me calculate this correctly?
Thanks

Last edited:
You don't use the after-tax income to assess means.

You take your partner's gross earnings, deduct PRSI, Superannuation and pension levies, and union dues to get the assessable earnings.
Then follow the instructions in your post to calculate means.

Thank you
Another question if you don’t mind if partner is getting illness benefit would that affect my da payment?
Thanks

Your calculations seem correct but as far as I know income tax is not deductable - see

From 26 September 2007 - the rules for assessing the income of a couple were changed. Under the current rules assessable earnings of the spouse, civil partner or cohabitant are calculated as the gross earnings less PRSI, Superannuation and Trade Union Subscriptions. (Deductions in respect of income tax and Health Insurance premiums e.g. VHI or similar health insurance premiums, Hospital Saturday Fund etc or any travel expenses are no longer disregarded from 26 September 2007.)

Per this page, if you and your partner are both on a social welfare payment, you will each get your own personal rate.
You mentioned that your partner is working?

Back