How surpluses are distributed

Brendan Burgess

Founder
The Returning Officer in Ireland South has said that it will take one month to do the full recount.

OK, they will have fewer staff involved.

But a whole month?

The ballot papers are already sorted.
They are in bundles of 100 presumably.
Each ballot paper needs to be checked to see if it's in the right bundle e.g. that a vote for Ni Riada did not go into someone else's bundle

There was no huge surplus for anyone so it's unlikely that a huge mistake was made.

I would certainly call for a full recount, but I can't see how it will take a month.

Brendan

jpd

Frequent Poster
There were so many candidates, will there not be lots and lots of small parcel of transferable votes with 1,2,3,4,5,.... to be checked.

I'm all for democracy and allowing people to stand, but Ireland South had 13 independent candidates who collected 70,000 or 10% of 1st preference votes. The quota was 119,866 so even if there had only been 1, they would have been unlikely to get elected.

The bar for being a candidate is too low - 60 signatures or € 1,800 deposit

As for the effort to recount, the actual count took 200 people 4 days to get to 17th count - or 800 man-days

jpd

Frequent Poster
I have a technical question on the distribution of the votes of the eliminated candidates

The first candidate to be eliminated was jan Van de Ven - he had 1,423 votes which will have been redistributed to the remaining candidates based on the 2nd preferences on his votes. In this case, Peter Madden picked up 14 votes to add to his 2,395 1st preference.

Peter was the next eliminated, and his votes were redistributed - presumably his 2,395 were distributed according to the 2nd preference on these papers and the 14 extra were re-distributed according to the 3rd preference.

As the bottom candidates are eliminated one by one, it must become quite complex to keep track of which preference on the voting paper is being used to redistribute the eliminated candidate's votes particularly as the votes amongst the independent candidates were transferred to each other by and large

Brendan Burgess

Founder
will there not be lots and lots of small parcel of transferable votes with 1,2,3,4,5,.... to be checked.
They are no problem at all.

It's easy to check and count 7,000 votes. And they go in a lump to other candidates.

Distributing a surplus is more complicated and time consuming.

Brendan

Brendan Burgess

Founder
As the bottom candidates are eliminated one by one, it must become quite complex to keep track of which preference on the voting paper is being used to redistribute the eliminated candidate's votes particularly as the votes amongst the independent candidates were transferred to each other by and large
I don't think so.

If they distributing Candidate D's votes, they have a pile of 1st preferences which are easy.

For the next ones, they look for Candidate D on the paper, and if she is no. 4, they then look for No. 5.

Most people vote only for the top three candidates anyway, so a lot of these votes would become non-transferable if they went 1,2, 3, 4, 5 for the minor candidates.

Brendan

jpd

Frequent Poster
Actually, the % of non-transferable votes started at 18% with Jan Van de Ven, and climbed slowly to 25% by the 11th count. When the last independents were eliminated in counts 12 & 13 it rose to 37% and 51% and then dropped back to 25%

That is 25% of the votes eliminated each count was deemed non-transferable either because the preferences were not expressed or the candidate had already been eliminated

jpd

Frequent Poster
I worked in IT and I am not sure I would trust electronic voting systems !

On voting, if you voted 1 for one of the main candidates, then yes, it is unlikely that your 3rd, 4th and higher votes will make much difference or indeed even enter in the count. If you voted for the no-hopers, then yes, you need to go all they way to 25 unless you don't really care you gets in