How should I deal with abandoned car?

GeneralZod

A car has been abandoned in a manner preventing me parking in my space. This happened a few weeks ago. It is also blocking a neighbour and he reported it to the Gardai. The land is private so I don't think the authorities
can or are willing to get involved.

I've held off doing something as there was a deposit involved and there was a chance the car would be moved to get it back. The landlord is denying this problem is any of his responsibility as the owner of the car was not the tenant even though he lived with the tenant.

At this stage I just want to be rid of the problem. Is there any restriction on me hiring someone to tow the car away for disposal?

Have it moved onto the public road, early in the morning- let the "authorities" use their powers to identify the rightful owner and deal with them accordingly! Above all deny everything!!

We have had the same problem in our development. We are advised to report it to the managing agent and not the Gardai. One of the cars are due to be removed in the next few days.

If it can get pushed to a public road, the Gardai can seize it for having no road tax.

It has the handbrake on, so pushing it would be difficult without something to jack it up. It's in an underground car park too to make things more awkward.

You can't move the abandoned car yourself (however tempting) because you are effectively stealing the car and then abandoning it and you are then the person responsible. You need to report it to either the landlord or the Gardai and let them deal with it.

Refuse to pay the landlord until the car has been removed. You're paying for the car park, so you're paying for a service which is not being provided. Financial implications seem to work as an incentive.

Back