How many hours to take one day a week off under parental leave scheme

Susie2017

Say a public sector worker is employed on a 37 hour week contract. They wish to take one day a week parental leave. The 37 hours is somewhat notional in that there is no time for a lunch break and one mandatory 7 30 start a week owing to workload. Department is understaffed and likely to remain so in the medium term. The employee is lucky to get a 10 minute lunch break and often works after 5 pm in a stressful job. In effect they work more than 40 hours a week and come in on weekends. Is it possible to take 3 hours of parental leave and take a day off ? Working the remaining 34 hours over 4 days including the mandatory early start and a couple of 6 pm finishes ? In effect they still will work more than 34 hours? The other employees in the dept are paid 39 hour contracts and the individual shares an equal share of work.

Parental Leave will be deducted from your rostered hours and calculated in hours and part of the hour. It is a simple calculation and will appear on your payslip.

If you're working shorter lunch breaks and staying on after your time at no cost to your employer, that's between you and your manager and has nothing to do with Parental Leave.

So will my friends employer insist on taking over 7 hours pay per one day of parental leave even though she is working at last 34 hours mon to Thursday ?

The employer is under no obligation to facilitate this arrangement, entitlements detailed here. I doubt any employer wants to get into the messy business of tracking this leave in 3 hour blocks.

The employer is under no obligation to facilitate this arrangement, entitlements detailed here. I doubt any employer wants to get into the messy business of tracking this leave in 3 hour blocks.

Tracking 3 hour blocks of parental leave is no problem. This kind of time for PL is not unusual. But, like Leo informed the employer has the final say.

Back