How long should house be on the (Dublin) market before you would start to get worried

Re: How long should house be on the (Dublin) market before you would start to get wor

3 weeks without one viewing? thats very strange. it may take a while getting your purchaser but there should be some interest in it on a weekly basis.

is the askin price a bit out?

if not then it may be worth your while getting a friend to check up on the estate agent? e.g. get someone to ring and ask for info about ur house and organise a viewing etc (which they can cancel if they like). it may be a case the Estate agent is too busy elsewhere and not givin the required attention to ur sale... i have had to chase estate agents on numerous occassions to organise viewings, and after a while u just get p1ssed off and forget about the home...

KS

My house has been on the market now for 3 weeks without as much as a phone call!!

My next door neighbour sold in April and was sale agreed within two weeks, well above her asking price.

How long would you leave it with an agent with no feedback whatsoever? I am not blaming the agent by the way. She has put it on my home, daft etc. I am thinking of perhaps advertising it in the local paper also?

I had put a holding deposit on a new house (which it will look like I will now not be able to buy) as I am not sure if the house will sell at all.

Have been awake till four o'clock in the morning worrying about all this. Makes me want to just stay put. I agree with the previous poster who said selling was definitely more stressful than buying.

Three weeks is a long time without even a phone call. There's a lot of property for sale in some areas and the market is weaker than in April when your neighbour sold. I would make sure that your house is priced competitively with other similar houses in the area. If the asking price is too high, buyers might be put off making an enquiry.

I would definitely be calling the agent on a daily basis to ensure that they are proactive on your sale.

Thanks guys. I am scourging the EA at least twice a week, but every time its the same, nothing arranged.

Having said that, there are about 8 similar houses for sale in the Estate and they dont seem to be going anywhere fast either. My asking price is on a par with the others, so I dont think its the pricing(probably the pricing for them all)

Perhaps it is just the market at the moment and they are just not going to sell as quick. Looks like I am going to have to drop out and get my deposit back on my new house for the moment. I think I would rather do that than have them badgering me to sign contracts all the time when I just cant do it.

How about dropping your price a bit so you are the cheapest in the area, hopefuly that would make you the first sale if people are looking.
can you get internal shots of your competition and decorate/tidy accordingly so you'rs looks better.

I have already pitched mine at €10K less than what was achieved next door to me in April, so unless I really have to, I dont want to drop any more. Even after dropping €10K if its not selling, I am going to question whether its worth me moving as I am already getting the max. mortgage and the €10K could see me priced out.

In respect of the house being tidy, etc, out of the 8 for sale already, mine is certainly in the top three in terms of decor, and in terms of location within the estate it would be the best.

All the Estate agent is doing is leaving it on my home, etc and also their property list. Do you think it would be worth putting it in the local paper, etc. I dont mind paying for additional advertising, once it gets me the result.

I have already pitched mine at €10K less than what was achieved next door to me in April, so unless I really have to, I dont want to drop any more. Even after dropping €10K if its not selling, I am going to question whether its worth me moving as I am already getting the max. mortgage and the €10K could see me priced out.

In respect of the house being tidy, etc, out of the 8 for sale already, mine is certainly in the top three in terms of decor, and in terms of location within the estate it would be the best.

All the Estate agent is doing is leaving it on my home, etc and also their property list. Do you think it would be worth putting it in the local paper, etc. I dont mind paying for additional advertising, once it gets me the result.

Link a house in the estate. You will then get a good assessment here of what we think why the houses are now selling. Location,price, sentiment on area etc.

There are already almost 200 houses for sale in Lucan, (most of which are 3 beds) as people seem to think that they have achieved the max price they are going to get within the area and are trading up/moving further out. With interest rate rises, people just cant afford to pay the prices for starter homes, which mine would be.

Is anybody else trying to sell in Lucan at the moment, and if so, how is the market for them?

Hi MandaC,

Three weeks mightened be as bad as you think. From what I hear july/aug is a really bad time of year but its supposed to pick up!!!! Fingers crossed.

My house has been on the market since the end of june. We had about 2/3 viewings for the first two weeks and offers creeping up in 1k jumps. We thought we had a serious offer and our EA went on two weeks hols in July and everything fell through. Since then (mid-july) we have had a number (possible 4 losing count at this stage!!!) viewings arranged but they were either cancelled or no-shows.........which is fiercely disappointing especially as my partner works from home and its a nightmare trying to tidy the place up each time.

If the advice here and other forums is to be believed September usually picks up (in Dublin anyway).

I phoned my EA this week. She has had absolutely no new enquiries so that means it drags on into next week. This afternoon, I called a couple of different Estate Agents. Both have said that they are surprised that there is no viewings. Well they would say that, wouldn't they. One which came on the market last week (its a semi as opposed to my mid terrace) with one of the bigger agencies has already had a viewing and one arranged for Saturday.)

I really dont know what to do for the best.

I am really thinking of putting up a card in the local superquinn/Eurospar and see if I get any feedback that way.

Last edited:
Would you not just change estate agent? Might not make any difference at all but certainly you would have nothing to lose. If I were you I would have a good look at your ad on myhome and then have a look at a few others around it and I would try to see how I could make mine more attractive. I would also put it on DAFT (if you haven't got it already), more money but a drop in the ocean in the scheme of things. Biggest thing I would do is make sure the photos are good and that your EA is putting the maximum allowed on there.

I am an agent in the Dublin area. What I say I assume would be the general opinion for all agents at present.
For the past 10 years the market has been very strong with prices constantly on the increase. This has lead to strong consumer confidence within the market. At the begining of 2001 the market fell back a little and as a result many people took a back seat and refused to purchase. The market took a couple of months to pick up but when it did it was very aggressive with many people left with nothing to buy in their price range.
This year we have seen interest rates increase by 1% which level pegs with the appreciation so we should now see little increase in appreciation for the latter half of this year which in the long run is great. Had this not been the case prices would have increased so much that the affordability would have been unreachable.
With an ioncrease of property to the market this season, interest rate increases and the talk of reduction in stamp duty has led to people sitting on the fence. In times like this we must do whatever we can to sell our house.
Identify who the market is for your house and aim it at them. Is it a family orientated house? If so use that 4th bedroom or great child friendly garden to sell it. If there are similar houses in your area are you asking the same price? If you are asking 5,000 euro less than the cheapest one who will get the most people to look at their house?
If you want to sell this side of Christmas changing your agent is not the answer. Ask them to meet with you and discuss options and what they would suggest you need to do to get the house sold. Ask them to be frank and honest and try not to take any insult. They know their job so use their advice to move on. Email me on fialoe@yahoo.com if you need any help. Email me a link of your house and I will make some suggestions. I am not an agent in the Lucan area so you are OK!! :) Best of Luck,
Brian

I am an agent in the Dublin area. What I say would be the general opinion for all agents at present.

You speak for all agents, are you Mr IAVI or something?

At the beginning of 2001 the market fell back a little and as a result many people took a back seat and refused to purchase.

Wrong - it was the end of 2001, first half saw increases.

The market took a couple of months to pick up but when it did it was very aggressive with many people left with nothing to buy in their price range.

Incorrect again - the Bacon measures were removed in Dec 2001 which allowed investors back into the market providing stimulus in 2002.

This year we have seen interest rates increase by 1% which level pegs with the appreciation so we should now see little increase in appreciation for the latter half of this year which in the long run is great.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Interest rates go up by 1% so property "level pegs"? What planet of economics is this from?

I'm glad you're not my agent :)

The arrival of Foot & Mouth Disease coupled with an influx of property to the market lead to a slowdown.

Yes, the U-turn in relation to investors and stamp duty lead to a severe pickup.

The 1% increase has an effect of a purchasers buying power meaning they have not the ability to purchase as strongly as they would had there not been such increase. Therefore the % increase expected will be lower than previously anticipated.

My qualifications are not irrelevant however yes I am a full member of IPAV, hold an Honours degree in Surveying amongst others.

This is an open forum where people seek opinions from others. Your attack is unprovoked and unnecessary. I, like you am only trying to offer assistance to those who want it.

This is an open forum where people seek opinions from others. Your attack is unprovoked and unnecessary. I, like you am only trying to offer assistance to those who want it.

What attack?

Your post was littered with inaccuracies and needed to be countered.

Congratulations on your IPAV membership and the honours degree in surveying but does that give you the right to speak for all agents?

Providing advice is one thing but coming on the site asking people to email you with information on distressed sales is another.

That comes as no suprise as I would also feel kindness is not your thing.

I would advise anybody reading this thread NOT to email details of their property to any poster no matter how "kind" they may wish to appear.

Well, the upshot of it is for me, is that I still have absolutely no interest in the house. Am switching EA to see if it will do any good, but am trying to be optimistic. It looks like I will be realising at least €16K less than the one next door to me got at Easter.

If it goes down any more, may consider renting. At the moment I am totally cheesed off with it all. And if people think they have problems buying, there are just as many messers when you are trying to sell.

At the moment I am totally cheesed off with it all. And if people think they have problems buying, there are just as many messers when you are trying to sell.

Hi MandaC, I know exactly how you feel. We were let down by two non-purchasers and have finally gone sale-agreed after dropping the price a few weeks ago. We also realised less than the previous similar house in the Spring. Dropping the price so that it competed favourably with local competition did succeed in attracting more interest for our property however.

Re: How long should house be on the (Dublin) market before you would start to get wor

Have you stripped it bare? The usual rules - cream walls or near it, no personal effects visible, if you want to sell you live in a showroom which is hard. Never ever depend on one agent, 3 minimum and you'll be surprised for what it offloads on. Be prepared to market it with at a perceived loss, never get excited at the highest evaluation ( they are selling themselves to you remember!), depend on location of course, research that yourself, be realistic. Very few people have imaginations when they see a property, strip it, it will move faster, live in limbo in the meantime if you want to move on.

Back