how long do banks retain account details

runner

Someone in the banking fraternity out there could help here..

Was wondering how long do banks retain details on live personal accounts, if you wanted to go back say a few years to look up something?

Secondly, how long do they retain details after an account after it is closed, if likewise you needed a historical statement on this closed account?

Runner,

Most Banks would be able to give you details, statements etc going back to the late seventies. Around this time they would have become computerised and records would be on fiches etc. While it might be a pain for them to retrieve the info, in most cases they should be able to provide what you want. This would apply wheter the account was closed or not.

Gel

Why don't they hold all past records on-line?

Both my AIB and UB accounts only display the previous 6 months.
My NR on-line account displays all records since I opened it in June last year.

gel said:
Runner,

Most Banks would be able to give you details, statements etc going back to the late seventies. Around this time they would have become computerised and records would be on fiches etc. While it might be a pain for them to retrieve the info, in most cases they should be able to provide what you want. This would apply wheter the account was closed or not.

Gel

Not quite I'm afraid - 15 years history is what we hold - 1991 would be as far back as we can go now................

BM

i heard 15 years myself. how long does it take for an account to go dormant though?

Back