how do you become an apprentice?

J

janeymac

hi
my husband has been let go (through no fault of his own but that's a whole other story and it's in the solicitor's hands) but the trouble is he doesn't have any qualifications or skills to write home about. He recently did the ECDL and is looking to maybe go for the A+ course. Do you think this is a good route to take to get some IT skills to work on a helpdesk?
I was wondering if an apprenticship might be a better idea but how do you get into one? where do you find out about them? would FAS be the best place to find out? I presume that while you are doing your training you don't get paid a whole lot.
ta very much

apprenticeship

To become an apprentice your husband will first need obtain a job as an apprentice in whatever trade he wants to pursue.The employer will then register your husband with Fas as an apprentice. He will then do seven stages before he gets his national craft certificate. The seven stages are combination of on the job, fas and college training.
As far as I know Fas might have a job section for apprentices so they surely are worth contacting at www.fas.ie. The d.i.t. website also has information regarding apprentices at www.dit.ie.
It can take anything from 3 1/2 to 4 years to complete this process. The money that he gets can vary from employer and depending on experience.But once he completes his apprentice he should be able to earn a very good wage.

Back