House Alarm -moving sensors

peggybetty

We're about to block up a window in our house which had an alarm sensor attached to it. I decided to remove the sensor myself, pull the wires up into the attic and reconnect everything so that we can block up the window without having to wait for the alarm people to come out. Everything has been re-wired as before but we are now getting an 'Open Tamper' message on our alarm display. Any suggestions?

Does anyone know if the problem would be solved by tracing the wire back to the main control unit and disconnecting it from there too?

When I took the cover off the sensor I did notice that one of the wires had been nicked by a screw when it was originally installed - there are still some strands of the wire in tact. Would this have a bearing?

Open tamper probably refers to the cover on the sensor having been opened. If you close the cover, reset the fixing screw and clear/ reset the alarm the message should disappear.........

From your post, do I understand that you have removed the sensor completely and taped the wires up in the attic, or reconnected the sensor in the attic?

Sinewave, I reconnected all wires in the sensor in the attic in an attempt to maintain whatever circuit the alarm expects to be there.

Fair enough,

Tracing the wire back to the control unit probably won't be worth it, as it is possibly looped to other windows. However, if you know that this is not the case, then you can disconnect it at the control box, but a dummy resistor must be placed across the terminals. You will normally see this done on other spare terminals within the box. The spare resistors are sometimes left loose in the box.

Otherwise check that the cover on the sensor is adequately fitted, and that the damaged wire is repaired.

After all this clear the alarms on your unit.

Thanks SineWave. Fairly sure that the wire doesn't go to any other windows/doors, so might look at that option. Otherwise I think it will be a call to the fitter again.

Make sure the sensor (in attic) is in the exact horizontal and vertical position that it was, when on the window. There may be some sort of a tilt-tamper.

Back