House Alarm -how to get landlords contact details

MandaC

Query which is now driving me mad(third day). House 2 doors up is rented approx 2 years. New tenants moved in about a month ago.

Alarm went off 2 days ago, no signs of break in, but basically we have no contact details for landlord/tenants.

I phoned ptrb, who were very helpful. They said they could not give me the contact details for landlord, but could certainly pass on a message. He wasn't registered (despite the fact house is rented about 2 years). Enforcement are going to follow up on that one!!!

Is there anyone else I can contact. I am not too bad, but my poor next door neighbour is sleeping with ear plugs. The alarm has stopped ringing outside and is ringing inside and driving her mad. She is off work sick at the moment and cant even stay inside her own house. Help!!

MandaC

Thoms Directory available in most libraries lists the owners of properties if that is any use to you.

this happened to me a couple of years ago. Alarm rang for 2 days & 2 Nights. Eventually I took my ladder and a lump hammer and knocked the box off the wall to cheers from my neighbours. Bloody thing kept ringing even when it hit the ground so a few more smacks sorted that out. I then posted the remains of the alarm through the letter box.

Is it a privately managed development?

If so, you could contact the managing agent.

If not, have you approached the local Garda station?

I wouldn't advise any course of action that could be construed as criminal damage/trespass etc.

Its a private Estate with no managing agent. Neighbour phoned the guards and they did a search and were able to obtain details for every other house on the road except his.

He is obviously going to get into some sort of trouble now for not registering as a landlord with the private tenants board.

The thing has been going for two days two nights now and we dont even know when the tenants are due back!!!! It would appear they are gone a week Saturday, so if they are gone another week, it could be a week more of this.

My neighbour feels like doing the lump hammer thing...... I dont know how much longer she will keep sane.

Will the Gardai not take any further action, i.e. disable the alarm on the basis it is a public nuisance etc. Taking the law into your own hands could be dangerous.

ccovich is correct. you shouldnt take the law into your own hands and I would never recommend it. however in may case I had phoned the Gardai the alarm company the dept of the environment and no one could help. My elderly next door neighbour was distraught. She hadnt slept in two nights and was on the street crying at one stage. I simply ran out of options and patience...

it might be worth putting a copy of http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/c49fd82118100eb480256f0f003bc7f7/$FILE/Noise%20Reg.pdf (this) in the letter box as well

penang said:
ccovich is correct. you shouldnt take the law into your own hands and I would never recommend it. however in may case I had phoned the Gardai the alarm company the dept of the environment and no one could help. My elderly next door neighbour was distraught. She hadnt slept in two nights and was on the street crying at one stage. I simply ran out of options and patience...

I can understand that the alarm company would do nothing as you are not the owner (it might be an idea if they were forced to act on legitimate complaints made, but that's another issue).

But what was the Gardai's response? On what basis did they not take action?

Gardai were I have to say very sympathetic to our situation. They tried contacting the owner ( landlord) but could not, tried the alarm company who were not able to do anything either. After about 10 calls to them they finally said they had run out of options and we would probably have to wait until someone returned to the house....I don't believe there any "strong" laws regarding alarms.

not a thing. shrugged their shoulders and said it was the landlords problem. one of my neighbours asked them for the landlords contact details and phoned him. he didnt return calls..eventually we all just got over it. He did replace the alarm with the exact same unit though....

I've moved house since so I don't know if there have been any repeats....

I don't think the lump hammer is an option on the internal bell box unless you're planning on using it on a window as well.

I have the exact same situation as Penang. The Gardai have been very sympathetic to our situation. It is the only house on the road they were unable to come up with details for.

Alarm fitters tried to help too and looked up their original invoice, billed to previous owner.

I am going to put the noise pollution leaflet through the door with a note for the tenants to request that the landlord gives me a call (if and when they do come back). My neighbour is now worried that we have got him into trouble with ptrb. Anyway, I am not one of these people who report things anonymously - will tell him that I when I tried to get his contact details from the private tenants registration board, to which he should be registered, he is not and they will be in touch with him directly.

This is day 3 and it is still going goodo! The tenants appeared to go on hols last sat, so if they are only gone for a week, they will be back tomorrow, but if they are gone two weeks........................

I thought house alarms were supposed to turn themselves off after 15 mins?

The internal alarm runs off a battery (?) - could you turn off the electricity and then the battery would go dead within a few hours. Is it trespassing if you do 'something' on the outside of the house (eg interfere with the ESB meter box)?

sluice44 said:

The internal alarm runs off a battery (?) - could you turn off the electricity and then the battery would go dead within a few hours. Is it trespassing if you do 'something' on the outside of the house (eg interfere with the ESB meter box)?

Don't do the above. Years ago when away on business my alarm went off. Instead of contacting the other keyholder, who's details the neighbours had, someone disconnected my ESB meter.

I came home to a stinking apartment where the meat in the freezer had defrosted and gone off and left a nice slimey mess on the floor. It cost me a fortune to get the ESB reconnected, get the alarm reset and ages to get the stink out of the apartment.

C

sluice44 said:

Unfortunately according to the department of environment publication this is a voluntary standard...

Back