House Alarm Advice

JimmyCorkhill

Hi, looking to get a house alarm installed. In the house a number of months but still no alarm, house is a new build and no wires for wired alarm so will need to be a wireless alarm which is fine.
Read bits and pieces about Homesecure and their Ajax system, others have mentioned HKC, Verisure have called to the door telling me they have the best system on the planet and I noticed a couple of houses in the estate with Action24 alarm boxes.

Any advice, tips, suggestions please?

Thanks

I have the Homesecure alarm in two houses. The system itself is excellent, modern and totally wireless. I think they are the only ones doing the Ajax system at the moment. I had done research and that was the system I wanted.

The batteries last for years. I would recommend also getting the monitored smoke alarm.

I have the Homesecure alarm in two houses. The system itself is excellent, modern and totally wireless. I think they are the only ones doing the Ajax system at the moment. I had done research and that was the system I wanted.

The batteries last for years. I would recommend also getting the monitored smoke alarm.
Thanks, I may give them a call tomorrow if I get a chance, to understand what they offer a bit better.
Probably need to ring a few of the other alarm company’s and see what they offer.

Read elsewhere someone saying don’t bother getting the key fob with Homesecure as you end up hitting off it or triggering it inadvertently and just use the app can be fine.

Also, not sure if I need it third party monitored tbh. If someone breaks in and they call the Gardai, the local Garda station is part time manned, so it typically goes to another station 15+ mins away who are also looking after other towns who are similarly part time manned. Seeing the Gardai response time to an attempted break-in in the estate previously, the culprits will be long gone, home and in bed.

The alarm is more a deterrent in my eyes to maybe go off if they even attempt to force a door or put pressure on a window while trying to remove it. Also to give the other half a bit more peace of mind as she is not comfortable without an alarm.

I second that.

Works great. zero issues. clean & fast wireless install. You own the hardware after 3 years And can cancel the subscription / monitoring service.

Home secure will try to upsell you on the sensor count so have your head screwed on during the sales call & also agin during the install. Every extra sensor adds to your monthly monitoring/subscription cost.

I second that.

Works great. zero issues. clean & fast wireless install. You own the hardware after 3 years And can cancel the subscription / monitoring service.
Thanks.
Are you past 3 years with them? If so, any issues with system if you own it and are not paying them a sub?
Also, do you just self-monitor after 3 years is up?
Thanks

Got hkc wired (I know you want wireless) through a local supplier.

My key thing I wanted was no crazy ongoing costs/subs. Only thing that I pay is the Sim costs that allow for the alarm if it goes off that texts me and brother in law. It also alerts on the app which is easy to use.

Key think look at initial costs and total costs over the lifespan of the system. Also ask about potential increase in costs/subs. Also try and get a decent installer I'm chasing the installer of mine as got a new door and need sensor reconnected.

Other think to potentially look into for security is cameras like ring or others. I also have blink from ages ago that has no ongoing subscription that works via wifi and have two cameras that are based on motion detection.

Got hkc wired (I know you want wireless) through a local supplier.

My key thing I wanted was no crazy ongoing costs/subs. Only thing that I pay is the Sim costs that allow for the alarm if it goes off that texts me and brother in law. It also alerts on the app which is easy to use.

Key think look at initial costs and total costs over the lifespan of the system. Also ask about potential increase in costs/subs. Also try and get a decent installer I'm chasing the installer of mine as got a new door and need sensor reconnected.

Other think to potentially look into for security is cameras like ring or others. I also have blink from ages ago that has no ongoing subscription that works via wifi and have two cameras that are based on motion detection.
Thanks, all very helpful
Going to get a doorbell camera and possible back door camera separately I think.

I rang Homesecure, they are offering the following - free installation, €29.95 p/m subscription, €15 for the first 3 months. Can buy out system for €400 after 1 year, €200 after 2 years and own it for free after 3 years.

6 sensors in package, may need an extra now that I think of it to cover whole of downstairs:
Have one back patio door in kitchen and one window in kitchen
One window in living room, one in hall and one in downstairs toilet.
Front door and one motion sensor to cover downstairs hall area.

Alarm Package Specifications:

• 1 Touchpad Keypad
  • 1 Internal Central Control Hub
  • 1 Internal Alarm Siren
  • Smart Alarm Mobile App (Multiple User Access)
    Outdoor Decoy Deterrent

2 Doors
3 windows
1 Motion Sensors

The monitored smoke alarm is about €65 to install (I cannot remember exactly) and €2 per month.
Thanks Páid, we already have a few smoke alarms, granted they are not monitored but will bleep. What does a monitored smoke alarm give you?
Also, I can see us buying out the equipment after a year so won’t be paying for any monitoring after a year.

If the fire alarm goes off while you are away from the house they (or you) could call the fire brigade.

If you are in the house and don't hear the unmonitored smoke alarms or are otherwise incapacitated (e.g. smoke inhalation) and Homesecure don't get a response from you they will call the fire brigade.

It may not be suitable for you but in my case I like the peace of mind.

If the fire alarm goes off while you are away from the house they (or you) could call the fire brigade.

If you are in the house and don't hear the unmonitored smoke alarms or are otherwise incapacitated (e.g. smoke inhalation) and Homesecure don't get a response from you they will call the fire brigade.

It may not be suitable for you but in my case I like the peace of mind.

Also, I don't claim the discount on my home insurance. The pitiful reduction is not worth the risk of someone forgetting to activate the alarm.
Thanks Páid for explanation.

Yes, I have no intention of even mentioning I have an alarm when renewing house insurance.

I got a new HKC alarm fitted recently. €10 per month to give me alerts to my phone and the ability to set/reset via an app on my phone.

Also, I don't claim the discount on my home insurance. The pitiful reduction is not worth the risk of someone forgetting to activate the alarm.
It's 100euro discount, not insignificant- I know because I removed it this year for the reason you mention

Not sure if homesecure or any of the wireless ones count as a certified alarm for insurance anyway?

It's 100euro discount, not insignificant- I know because I removed it this year for the reason you mention

Not sure if homesecure or any of the wireless ones count as a certified alarm for insurance anyway?

With some insurers it's 10% - so if your premium is 250 euro, it's not worth the 25 euro saving imo

I have Network Security in my house. I took it over from the previous owner (the builder) and I find it fantastic. Their customer service is excellent. Previously has Phonewatch, would not recommend their customer service.

With some insurers it's 10% - so if your premium is 250 euro, it's not worth the 25 euro saving imo
Yeah, and you need to be able to prove it was installed and maintained annually by a registered installer. Bar replacing batteries and alarm system needs little to no maintenance.

I'm trying to get my head around home security in Ireland.

From what I understand there are different security systems (the equipment) and different companies that do the monitoring?

Are Home Secure like PhoneWatch? A monitoring company?

Does each company have their own equipment? For example I see someone said HomeSecure use Ajax equipment? If I go with HomeSecure is the app by HomeSecure or Ajax?

Our house had PhoneWatch installed prior to us moving in? Could I use that equipment for someone else? Who supplies there equipment?

Back