Hotel New York

HollyOlly

Can anyone recommend a good budget hotel in NYC? Location is key. Have never been to New York before and plan on going there in January on a budget but want to see as much as possible. Any tips or recommendations would be hugely helpful.
Thanks
:)

Difficult to recommend without knowing how much you consider "budget" to be. Try - lots of reviews from people who actually stayed in the hotels.

By Budget accommodation i mean circa €50pppn, 2 sharing. Have a bit of money to spend but would prefer to spend it on sightseeing and shopping than on accommodation.

I totally agree with your thinking Holly - if you have time to spend in your hotel in New York for more than just sleeping, you are missing out on something !

However, I suspect you will find it difficult to get a decent, centrally located hotel for €100 per night. I stayed in the Crowne Plaza in Times Square on my last visit. It was very central, reasonably priced (by NY standards) and clean.

Have you thought about looking for something smaller like a guesthouse in one of the neighbourhoods like Soho or Chelsea ? You might get a better taste of the real New York than in a big hotel chain.

Stayed in the chelsea inn an few years back http://www.chelseainn.com/, it's very central, close to Empire State building and Washington Square. It is small and clean. The rooms are self contained i.e. have a small kitchenette, you might have to share a bathroom depending on what floor you're on.

Try the http://www.hotelpenn.com/ (Hotel Pennsylvania.)

It's really old and enormous but it's clean and you won't get a more centrally located budget hotel. (Across from MSG and 100 metres from Empire State)

Have you thought about renting an apartment? I spent months checking budget hotel websites etc and in the end found this a much cheaper option. Basically it was a woman subletting me her lovely one-bed apt in the middle of Greenwich village for a few days. Obviously it is slightly riskier than renting a hotel but on the bright side you get to see photos of the exact room you'll be staying in.

Also, check out
[broken link removed]
http://www.milfordplaza.com/

Definitely cross check with a site that critiques the hotels cos I booked one at Christmas and it turned out to be having a problem with bed bugs.

I stayed in the Ramada hotel on Lexington and 31st (I think) and it was great value. Great location only 3 blocks from Empire State. And - breakfast was included every morning for free - Croissants, cereal toast etc.
When I go back to NYC - I will stay in this hotel

I stayed in the Hotel Beacon last year (based on tripadvisor reviews) and it was excellent - only 10 mins on the subway to Times Square and 5 mins walk to Central Park. Huge room with mini kitchen and a fantastic 24 hour grocery store across the road.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

next time i'm in NY i will be checking this place out Chelsea Star Hotel .

It gets good reviews and seems to be in a good location, beside Madison Sq. Garden.. and also offer rates from $29.99 !!

Have a read of the [broken link removed] too

Try Gramercy Park Hotel on Aer Lingus Site. Central manhattan, might be within your budget. Nice & clean, good location. The american / new york attitude to hospitality is very different to any Irish hotel though. have a nice day and carry your own bag!

Thanks for all the replies. Been checking those places out. Like the look of the Pennsylvania Hotel. Also found one on Times Square called St. James' Hotel. Anyone know anything about this? Also does anyone know if the sales start on Jan 2nd in the US? I think we'll probably go for New Years. Any recommendations for what to do?
Thanks a lot!
HO

I stayed in St James Hotel last year - we left booking our hotel a bit late and it was one of a few hotels available. The location is excellent - you are literally a few steps away from Times Square and, so both uptown and downtown are easily accessible. There are 2 Subway stations a couple of blocks away and The Rockefeller Centre, Grand Central Station, Empire State Building are all within walking distance.

The rooms are basic but clean and they are serviced every morning. The hotel is a bit old but it was being renovated when I stayed there so it may be a bit better now.

This year I'm staying at the UN Crowne Plaza - its a few blocks west but good value at $945 for five nights in late November, it might be worth checking out - http://www.booking.com/city/us/new-york.html?aid=303948;label=new-york . I haven't been nor do I know anyone who has so I can't recommend it but for a 4* mid town hotel it looks like good value.

i havnt heard one good thing about the Hotel Pennsylvania and know of several people who have stayed there. Looks good from the outside but thats all.

have a look at these sites . .

[broken link removed]

http://ie.hotels.com/hotel-htdocs/ie/index.htm

enjoy NY, great city

Ramada Hotel also looks good value for basic accommodation. Again I haven't been nor do I know anyone who has so I can't recommend.

RonanC said:
i havnt heard one good thing about the Hotel Pennsylvania and know of several people who have stayed there. Looks good from the outside but thats all.

I stayed in the Pennyslvania 3 years ago and thought the hotel was grand. It was being renovated at the time and we did get an old room which was minging but asked for a renovated room and got one straight away. The location of this hotel is absolutely brilliant and I dont know why people complain about it, after all the only time you spend in your hotel is to sleep.

Have now booked the Brooklyn Plaza. Anyone stayed there? It looks good on the website and we got a good deal.

Back