Homeowners have to pay management charge

Firstly, I agree with the overall view that you shouldn't be paying a management fee and getting nothing in return, however none of the estates you've mentioned are your typical estate of 3 bed semi-detached houses, with a small green area.
Knockrabo? Fairways? Farmleigh Park? All have houses with a hefty management charge.
I'm not familiar with all of these, but doesn't Knockrabo have 'facilities' available to residents that need to be paid for? A gym, library, coffee shop? I've never been in around it (although in familiar with the site from before it was developed), but I got the impression that the grounds would take a bit more upkeep than the council sending in a contractor for a few hours to cut the grass?

Fairways - essentially a private 6 acre park to be maintained. Plus shared parking spaces.

Farmleigh Park. The one built at peak Celtic tiger? You think the council are going to maintain those acres of paved driveway, the fountains, the entrance gates, etc?

When a developer pitches something as being better than your typical council managed estate, then someone's got to pay for the upkeep of that standard. The council aren't going to take it on, nor should they.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with all of these, but doesn't Knockrabo have 'facilities' available to residents that need to be paid for? A gym, library, coffee shop? I've never been in around it (although in familiar with the site from before it was developed), but I got the impression that the grounds would take a bit more upkeep than the council sending in a contractor for a few hours to cut the grass?

I'm not sure if those facilities have actually been built yet, and whether the change will increase if they are built.

Fairways - essentially a private 6 acre park to be maintained. Plus shared parking spaces.
Didnt the council already take over the park there? So houses paying management charge for what exactly?

Farmleigh Park. The one built at peak Celtic tiger? You think the council are going to maintain those acres of paved driveway, the fountains, the entrance gates, etc?
So, an extra 600 pa ( 60k) for a few fountains. The council should look after roads/footpaths. I'm not aware of any gates that open/close there.

When a developer pitches something as being better than your typical council managed estate, then someone's got to pay for the upkeep of that standard. The council aren't going to take it on, nor should they.
Seems very overpriced for the supposed services.

Back