Home Insurance claim

cologneboy

Hello,

We had to claim under our home insurance policy with getcover, undrwritten by lloyds. Water escaped from the first floor on-suite and damaged the ceiling below.
A loss adjustor has been out, had a quick look and requires a contractors estimate for proposed building repairs and plumber's report confirming location and cause of leak.

We had the plumber out and on inspection indicated that there is a crack in the immediate connection from drain in the shower tray which caused the water to escape.

My first question is if this kind of default is injured. My second question, is the work, required to replace this part, taking out the shower tray etc, covered for the claim? And finally, as part of the damage caused, there is a crack, about 80-90cm in the ceiling. Am I right to assume that I'm entitled to have the laster boards effected replaced as to have it reinstated to how it was before the water leaked?

Thanks, any advise appreciated,

cologneboy

Just from my own experience , I suggest that you get generous quotations from all contractors concerned .

From builder to plumber to plasterer to painter etc. Send all , to your Insurance Company and they will assess and reduce the quote somewhat .

You will probably get a professional reply here , however , there have been some good threads here before on this topic .

Just from my own experience , I suggest that you get generous quotations from all contractors concerned .

Inflated you mean!! Never reduced a claim honestly and fairly submitted in my life and I'm not the only one. Unhappy customers and bad for business.

Of course the insurance company will reduce claim. They have to play fair by honest claimants.

As a loss assessor I would generally agree with your comments however in my experience a number of them play in a unfair and and not very honest manner.

As a loss assessor I would generally agree with your comments however in my experience a number of them play in a unfair and and not very honest manner.

I've no doubt. People without scruples in every walk of life.

There are other considerations in choosing an insurance company apart from price.