Home charger cost to charge a hybrid

Roro999

Thinking of installing a home charger.

My hybrid car does about 50kms if charged.

If I charge it on a daily basis anyone know what my ESB bill will increase by per day of charge.

how big is the battery, thats the number of kwh (give or take will be some small inefficiencies) you will use when charging from empty,

just multiply that by your unit charge.

so if its a 15kwh battery and your day rate is 20c then its 3 euro.

Last edited:
how big is the battery, thats the number of kw (give or take will be some small inefficiencies) you will use when charging from empty,

just multiply that by your unit charge.

so if its a 15kw battery and your day rate is 20c then its 3 euro.
How did you arrive at €3?
Surely it depends on the wattage of the charger and how long it needs to charge for?

Clubman, It looks to be a worst case estimate, ie charging from empty to 100% each day.

Assuming the the car is fully charged each day then it doesn't really matter the wattage of the charger as that will just dictate how long it takes to charge.

How did you arrive at €3?
Surely it depends on the wattage of the charger and how long it needs to charge for?
it is self explanatory how i arrived at the 3 euro, size of the battery is the no of KW that it will require to recharge it, you pay a fixed rate per KW, ergo the number of KW x the rate is the cost.

What does the wattage of the charger have to do with it, that will just dictate how long the charging takes, not how much energy is required.

You have to add ~10-15% energy loss for the charger too, they're not 100% efficient.

Which will dictate the charging cost!
Ignoring energy losses through the charger, if the car is charged from 0 to 100% it will cost the same if it takes 1 hr @ 15kwh or 15hrs @ 1kwh.
Its the total energy usage not the time to charge that matters.

it is self explanatory how i arrived at the 3 euro, size of the battery is the no of KW that it will require to recharge it, you pay a fixed rate per KW, ergo the number of KW x the rate is the cost.

What does the wattage of the charger have to do with it, that will just dictate how long the charging takes, not how much energy is required.
You're actually quoting wattage, which might be confusing things :) . The speed of the charger is kilowatts (kW), the capacity of the battery (and what you pay your electricity supplier for) is kilowatt hours (kWh).

You're actually quoting wattage, which might be confusing things :) . The speed of the charger is kilowatts (kW), the capacity of the battery (and what you pay your electricity supplier for) is kilowatt hours (kWh).
sorry KW, KWH, but the point should be easily understood i think.

Thinking of installing a home charger.

My hybrid car does about 50kms if charged.

If I charge it on a daily basis anyone know what my ESB bill will increase by per day of charge.
Your car likely has a battery size of ~14kWh. A kWh costs about €0.20 depending on your provider. So if the car is totally empty it would cost €2.80 to charge. It probably won't end up completely empty every day and it might make sense to get a night rate meter, which would half that cost.

The increase in your electricity bill is not the right way to think about this in my view though. A 5L/100km car will cost you €8.50 to do 100km in petrol, while a car running on electric will typically use maybe 15kWh/100km which would mean it costs you €3 to do 100km if you charge it at home, or more like €1.50 if you charged on the night rate. Those are the figures that matter - driving on electric will cost you 1/3 or 1/4 what it costs you to drive on petrol/diesel. Whether your electricity bill goes up doesn't really matter, your fuel bill will have decreased significantly more!

No it's not.
It's kW rating of a device (in this case the charger not the car battery!) × kWh unit rate × number of hours the device is in use (assuming that it's drawing full power - thermostatically controlled devices, trickle chargers etc. may not draw full charge constantly).

Last edited:
No it's not.
It's kW rating of a device (in this case the charger not the car battery!) × kWh unit rate × number of hours the device is in use (assuming that it's drawing full power - thermostatically controlled devices, trickle chargers etc. may not draw full charge constantly).
you are over complicating it, the battery is of a certain size, it can only take some many KWH, you pay a rate per KWH, leaving any inefficiencies out of it you pay the KWH rate x the KWH size of your battery.

What do you calculate it would cost then for a battery size of 15 KWH?

you are over complicating it
You are over simplifying it.
What do you calculate it would cost then for a battery size of 15 KWH?
I told you already - it depends on the wattage of the charger and the time it takes to charge.

I told you already - it depends on the wattage of the charger and the time it takes to charge.

And i told you already that is irrelevant.

Lets make it simple,

you have a 7.2KWH battery.

You have a 7.2KWH charger

In one hour you have charged the car, it costs 7.2 x one unit of electricity at say 20c €1.44

Lets say you have an older 3.6KWH charger

In 2 hours you have charged the car, it still only costs you 7.2 x one unit of electricity at say 20c €1.44

So the time to charge is irrelevant, it wont cost any more or less.

The table you linked show that different speed chargers take a different amount of time to refill a battery, that doesnt mean (when charging at home) that the cost is any different.

If you know the size of the battery you don’t need to know the rate of charge to work out the cost, end of story.

While it can be calculated your way, you are over complicating it. Most people won’t know the speed of their charger, which varies over time anyway, or how long their car is charging for. So the other calculation is simpler and uses factors that are generally known to the person - battery size and unit cost.

Last edited:
Back