Hit and Run - what to do next?

mobileme

My friend was involved in an accident on Friday night and is unsure about how to proceed. She was hit on the drivers side by a car that broke a red light, and then reversed and drove away. Another car at the junction saw the incident and followed the offenders to get the reg. It was a Northern registered car and they managed to get the make, colour and three letters and one digit of number plate. Gardai were called to the scene and took details but said they didn't hold out hope of tracing the car. Thankfully she is not physically hurt.

My friend is now considering paying for the damage to her car herself (€1500+) as she does not have no claims protection. Some questions...
1) Should the Gardai be contacting the PSNI to trace the Northern reg car?
2) If my friend reports incident to her own insurance company, are they likely to pursue the offenders?
3) Does the MIBI have any role here?

Briefly:
1. Yes - Gardai should be contacting their counterparts up North. You should check that this is the case.

2. Unlikely.

3. Yes. Check front page of todays Examiner and the story entitled 'Non National drivers in 800 Road Accidents'.

yes, the MIBI will deal with the claim and will try to recoup from the UK MIB. However, in the first instance, you need to report it to MIBI and return the questionaire form tha they will send you on request. It is quite strainghtforward.

You should also check with your own insurers as there is an agreement with teh MIBI that if the claimant (you) have comprehensive cover, you must claim under your own policy, without affecting your NCB.

MIBI are very helpful and will try to answer queries on phone.

Update today is as follows:

1. Gardai are fobbing my friend off and aren't contacting PSNI as they say there's probably loads of cars out there like that one. She's pursuing this and pushing them to try and find the culprits.

2. Her insurance company have told her that the best course of action is to claim on her policy, lose her NCB and have a 40% increase in her premium.

3. MIBI told her on the phone today that because no personal injury was sustained, they cannot help.

Any suggestions? She's still facing into a bill of thousands for fixing the car.

mobileme said:
2. Her insurance company have told her that the best course of action is to claim on her policy, lose her NCB and have a 40% increase in her premium.

Sorry, this may not be of much help (it sounds like an unfortunate situation), but maybe she should mention that she will leave the insurer and never return if they do not accomodate her in some way (may work against her initially, but why give business to someone who doesn't appreciate yours?).

mobileme said:

Why doesn't it suprise me that they'd suggest a route providing them with a 40% higher premium! Profits over people seems to be the norm in the sector.

I suppose given the "help" shes received to date she has little choice. She needs to look at the long term cost of losing her NCB vs. the short term cost of having to fix the car now. Depending on her situation (and the quote she gets) the final answer may be one she has little choice in making (needs the car, tight budget vs. good quote, no loss of NCB).

It does sound like a horrible situation and just glad to hear no injuries (other than financial) were suffered.

mobileme said:
Update today is as follows:

1. Gardai are fobbing my friend off and aren't contacting PSNI as they say there's probably loads of cars out there like that one. She's pursuing this and pushing them to try and find the culprits.

3. MIBI told her on the phone today that because no personal injury was sustained, they cannot help.

Any suggestions? She's still facing into a bill of thousands for fixing the car.

I was in the same situation at the end of Nov. The MIBI will pay out for damage but the car has to be traced before they pay, they also have an excess of 450 euros for damage to property. So her best hope is to keep pushing the gardai - mind you, that's what I did and I got no where so ended up paying for the repairs myself.

Hope your friend has better luck.

could you not contact the pnsi yourself and explain the situation.if the middleman isn't working(gardai) then go stright to the source(psni).they may help you!!!

You can get the info yourself from the DVLA on payment of a small fee.
[broken link removed] for details.

Back