Hiring an electric car in the UK

JimmyB99

Happy Christmas to all...

Apologies if this is a very basic question. I've never driven an electric car. I'm thinking of "test driving" one by hiring one on an upcoming holiday to the UK. Just wondering is the experience straight-forward? Are there any particular points relating to hiring an electric car in the UK that I should consider, etc.?

Many happy returns of the season! Interesting idea. They are the easiest cars to drive. Just make sure that you can charge up when you need. Would you have to open an account or can you charge at pay points( probably). However EVs are usually more expensive to hire. Your nearest dealer might let you test drive one for a couple of days.

I hired a Polestar 2 very cheap for 3 days in Bristol earlier in the month. Via Hertz - sign up as a member. They had a special weekend 72 hour deal.

I have an EV in Ireland so am familiar with them.

The UK charging network is much better than here, but it is apparently getting quite busy in parts and you need to sign up for accounts to use some, although the car rental company may include a card to access them all.

Do you plan to do much driving over there? If you do then I think you might be better renting what you’re used to and save the test drives for home where you won’t be under pressure to figure out charging etc.

FWIW Tesla will let you take one of their loaners out for a 30 minute unaccompanied test drive with zero pressure to buy, ring back a week later and show some interest and they’ll offer an overnight test drive, again free of charge, just need to give driving licence details. You can also rent EVs from UFODrive.

Last edited:
How much driving do you have planned? Is there charging available at your accomodation?

Hertz have great value on the Polestar 2 through Ryanair. I booked one over the Summer in Birmingham for a weekend and it was great. I drive a volvo so the controls and pilot assist were very similar, but the display was slightly different. Using google maps, it would show you the expected charge on arrival and it gave suggestions to charge. I did not need to charge it as I purchased the equivalent of buying a tank of petrol. It will have more than 80% charge when you get it and you have to leave it back with at least 20%. The charge for the fill of electricity was reasonable and it was the long range version of the car, so there was loads for the weekend.

The polestar 2 would be a big car, and cheaper than the smallest petrol car.

Also electric cars are automatic by design, and they can be a cheap way to drive an automatic car.

The Ryanair site gives free cancellation, and I got it 100 cheaper as the price had come down and I just cancelled and rebooked.

Last edited:
I'd do the same thing, but I'd do it here in Ireland if the option is there. At least you're not On Holiday while initially sorting out charging and how it all works. To me, it would add an additional stress to the holidays.

Tried it once. Also a polestar. It took over 30 minutes to refuel to the 80% level. Not much fun when under pressure to catch a flight for a price Also, it was as expensive to refuel as the petrol/diesel equivalent.

I’m not a huge fan of EVs anyway but I definitely wouldn’t hire one again.

Back