High Price for New Laguna Keys?

R

rosemary

Have an 03 Laguna II and the other evening the keyless ignition wouldn’t work. I’m stranded with 2 small kids (in a Tesco car park) and no spare key – Wouldn’t mind, but I had it in for (standard mileage) service not a fortnight earlier and at that time handed in the key that didn’t work and asked them to resolve. They didn’t – but gave me back the dude key.
Anyway, as I did not renew my AA membership this year, (after having it for two years unused), I had to organise to have it towed to the dealership garage, and the keys sorted. They’ve just come back with the cost after fixing it and it’s €619. I nearly collapsed. 100 for the tow, 138 twice for the two new keys and 170 for labour, rest I guess is VAT. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that this is a bit extreme.
Can I expect a little bit of good faith given that if they had have looked into the key problem when I requested, then this may have been avoided. Maybe they’ve waiver the tow charge?
Appreciate your thoughts. BTW – I told them to go ahead and fix it, I know it’s normal procedure that they call you with a price.

I have replaced 2 Laguna card keys already with one breaking within a year!, they are the worst invention ever, light plastic with tiny frail components inside, that is why they break so easily. Was charged similar price for them also. It must cost the Garages next to nothing for those card keys, I saw a big stack of them on a shelf in the work shop, they just key in the code to a new one! what a scam.
PS: Are you sure your insurance doesnt have breakdown assistance built in, I presume your fully comp with an 03 Laguna?

Have an 04 laguna but thank god no broken key as yet!! Touch Wood

A firend though had to fork out €170 for one key. His fell and smashed!

I found a pissed off megane scenic driver in a car park once , central locking had crashed . remote would not work

We found the key itself worked in the boot lock so I got her to climb in that way and the key worked in the ignition too. I turns out after I met her 2 months later she was still doing it because the renault garage estimated €500 to fix the central locking even though the key was working and the coding system was evidently working in the ECU (otherwise it would not start the engine) . What a crap manufacturer.

Does anyone remember this particular story about , Renault came and took the car away and never gave it back to him after their 'investigation' :D ?????

This is another reason I dont drive Renault anymore.
Cost of key and programming about €10.
Also I find Renault garages (service depts) to be an arrogant shower.Thats the price take it or leave it attitude.

D

Was due to pick up an 03 Laguna this week, then out of curiosity I called into a showroom and spoke to the salesman who said that if I were to bring in that car in a couple of years he would not take it as a trade in, indeed I would be lucky if anywhere would! Thinking this was pure sales patter and scare mongering we spoke to a friend who untill recently owned a Laguna. She stated it was unreliable and indeed she had trouble tradeing it. Needless to say we did not buy!

legs-akimbo said:
Was due to pick up an 03 Laguna this week, then out of curiosity I called into a showroom and spoke to the salesman who said that if I were to bring in that car in a couple of years he would not take it as a trade in, indeed I would be lucky if anywhere would! Thinking this was pure sales patter and scare mongering we spoke to a friend who untill recently owned a Laguna. She stated it was unreliable and indeed she had trouble tradeing it. Needless to say we did not buy!

What make of cars was the showroom dealing in? If not Renault of course he's going to say that!
Dealers of specific makes wont take or are very reluctant to take in other makes of cars as trade, i.e. if you want to sell your renault to a dealer you go to a renault dealer, its a no brainer. I have to say though that overall my laguna was very reliable just a few quirks like the card key that pi**ed me off but overall I never had a breakdown.

My wife drives Renault cars. I have to say we have never had any trouble (touch wood) and have always got a decent trade in from our Renault Dealer. Out of interest I compared the price to trade in to a Toyota and VW garage last time we changed and was shocked (and not in a good way) at what the dealer offered us for the car. They don't seem to be well thought of in Ireland yet they are one of the biggest selling car brands in Europe. I drive a VW myself.

Got offered a whopping €13000 as a trade in for my 04 Laguna against an 06 Volvo s40!

Bit on the low side me thinks!

I traded in my 02 laguna last year, the petrol models are getting a bad price becuase there are so many of them out there, I had a diesel which I traded in for 14k.

My trade in offers were

Liffey Valley Renault €10,000 (increased on phone to 11,250 and LCD tv when I walked way)
Bradys Castleknock 11,000
Autohouse Rathgar 11500
Michael Barable Motors 14000

Its all about the haggle!

Back