Hi about ROS on the 31st, october

arikv

I'm quite new to this country and to this forum, I read and searched the entire site but did not found anything related to my issue - tax and ROS registration, and am employed by an Irish firm, soon I'll be working as a self employed, but now I've heard that although I wasn't here in 2004, I have to file a blank form, so I surfed to ROS.ie, and have chosen 'Application to become a ROS customer'
I'm already lost on step1:
https://www.ros.ie/acl/apply_ran/step1

Can you please help me with the following:
1. Do I really need to file this one?
2. Tax Type/Approval No. - should it be 'income tax'?
3. Where do I get the 'Regn. No./ Id No.', or am I at the wrong place?

Thank a lot in advance,
Arik

You're currently a PAYE worker I presume ? Are you currently been stopped tax by your employer ? The second number is I believe your RSI number if you're PAYE.

I'd give them a call

I use it as a practicioner and find the help desk very useful when I have to contact them

They also work long hours

Their number from ouside Ireland is + 353 1 2771178

and their email address is [email protected]

BUT if you were not resident then you do not have to file a tax return for 2004

[email protected]

Thanks you both, I'll give them a call
I'm PAYE employee, but I'll double check with them today.

First you will need to register for Income Tax as a self-employed person through your local tax office first. You cannot register for ROS while you are just a PAYE worker. However from early 2006, ROS can be used by PAYE workers but thats no help to you now!

So how do I do my tax returns this year?

In less then two weeks I'll be off to start working on my own, but for now I'm PAYE.
Presumably I do nothing this year, but then next year I file tax return, can the fact that I've done nothing this year can cause me any problems?

Thanks again

arikv said:
So how do I do my tax returns this year?

The return that is due on 31st October is for 2004. The return for 2005 is not due until 31st October 2006. You should look on www.revenue.ie and on the left hand side clink on 'information...for businesses' which will you show you all the information you need for starting up.

Back