Hero or Zero

icantbelieve said:
...who says the orders were illegal, where has there been a judgement in his country's law that this soldier/medic can point to in support of his claim.
The US invasion of Iraq was illegal from day one; they defied UN resolutions which, in international law, are binding upon members. Unless you're the only (or biggest Goshdarned) superpower in the world, of course...

Anyway, I've just sent Malcolm Kendall-Smith a letter of support*. As a non-combatant living in 'neutral' Ireland, of course... :rolleyes:

*Flt. Lt. Malcolm Kendall-Smith
c/o Ministry of Defence
Main Building
Whitehall
London
SW1A 2HB

The war may have been without the additional draft resolution proposed by the US, Britain and Spain explicity authorising military action but within 6 months the UN security council passed resolution 1511 authorising a multinational security force and urging states to contribute to it.

He's letting his comrades down.

Shnaek, who said it was "other people's conflict", I believe that the democratically elected leader of the U.K. decided it was their conflict and ordered in their military. If it doesn't matter to americans when they voted for George Bush as their commander in chief that he was a draft dodger then why should it suddenly matter now. Your argument is simplistic and false and you're only using it for expediency, should there be a referendum evrytime there's a war and all those who vote for war should then be conscripted?
We regularly send our troops (fellow human beings as you call them) into other people's conflicts without being prepared to join them, its called UN peace keeping. This isn't about a man being forced to go to war against his will, if he doesn't want to go to war he can leave the army and try the courts for constructive dismissal if he feels hard done by. He's also not some poor squaddie who has limited career options if he leaves he has a choice but has chosen not to exercise it, therefore if you take the pay you do the work.

icantbelieve said:
I believe that the democratically elected leader of the U.K. decided it was their conflict and ordered in their military.
After consulting with God? :rolleyes:
GeneralZod said:
...but within 6 months the UN security council passed resolution 1511 authorising a multinational security force and urging states to contribute to it.

He's letting his comrades down.
Six months after the illegal invasion? I won't argue but that this was a face-saving excercise by the toothless UN. But I don't believe for a moment that Malcolm Kendall-Smith is 'letting his comrades down'. His Tony-ness did that...

Back