Helping out a less Talented brother in a recession

lmortgageholder

Can I start by explaining the situation.

After the Credit Crunch, Wife and us had gone from stock options coming out of our ears, without a care in the world to a situation with no money coming in.
Neither of Us have a recognised degree, and really struggled to any work after the naughties.
On the other, my brother didn't go crazy in the naughties and has a recognised skill which is always in demand, but he was never the Mothers favourite, and struggled in that area. He has almost paid of his mortgage.
We always say he should emigrate and "Work Away". The way to look at IT is that there's only certain amount of Jobs to go around.

My questions is, would AIBU allow a mechanism for my brother to secure our mortgage or use some of the principal on his mortgage to pay off the couples mortgage?

Everyday is a struggle, and the We are all in IT together, and the Family, nothing else matters, whether a sibling is talented or not.

Last edited:
Can I just add, the Church were magic throughout all of this, especially on my brothers wedding day, supporting the Nurtured congregation...

So your brother has a good trade and has his mortgage nearly paid off, but you think he should emigrate and work away. He should then secure a mortgage to pay off your mortgage, because you and your wife have no qualifications and have been unable to secure any job or retraining in over a decade of full employment.
Have I got the facts right ?

I know ITs confusing.

A Light Bulb moment in 2010, with Low Watt

I'm hoping to turn things around, because everything seems upside down now...

After the Credit Crunch, Wife and us had gone from stock options coming out of our ears, without a care in the world to a situation with no money coming in.
Neither of Us have a recognised degree, and really struggled to any work after the naughties.
What industry were you working in that offered lots of stock options back then but limited employment opportunities now?

Many industries here are struggling to hire staff at the moment, is there something else that has prevented you finding employment?

He has almost paid of his mortgage.
My questions is, would AIBU allow a mechanism for my brother to secure our mortgage or use some of the principal on his mortgage to pay off the couples mortgage?
I presume that AIBU means AIB and that you and/or your brother have your mortgages with them?

What exactly do you mean by "use some of the principal on his mortgage"? What are you referring to here?

I know ITs confusing.

A Light Bulb moment in 2010, with Low Watt

I'm hoping to turn things around, because everything seems upside down now...
This doesn't really make it less confusing.
Is "IT" here and elsewhere "Information Technology" or just "it"?
What is the relevance of 2010?
What's the light bulb moment?
What do you mean by low watt?

It might be clearer if you post in plain English and explain your overall financial and mortgage situation/concerns.
The Money Makeover forum has a good template for doing this.

Has your brother expressed any inclination towards helping you with these or not?

You'd be much better off filling out the financial makeover template on here and then outlining you and the brothers situations

You'd be much better off filling out the financial makeover template on here and then outlining you and the brothers situations

Here is a copy of the Money makover template that can be completed:

He's delighted, he thought the Public Sector were ending his fixed term contract at the time, had a mortgage with AIBu

My brother works in the Public Sector, if that makes any sense...
I presume that AIBU means AIB and that you and/or your brother have your mortgages with them?

What exactly do you mean by "use some of the principal on his mortgage"? What are you referring to here?
A little birdie told me that there are WAYs, (sounds very mysterious) of moving things around, like a mag pie moving a silver paper from one side of the nest to another.
IT does involve an OTT or OTC transaction, when the Church holds a high position in the land.

You wouldn't have the little birdies name and address? Could be carrying that bird flu

Apologies Clubman, that should have read "Abel", there were problems with the Auto Corrections

Apologies Clubman, that should have read "Abel", there were problems with the Auto Corrections
There is no mortgage lender called Abel in Ireland that I know of.
Are you in some other country?
Askaboutmoney is an Irish site and deals primarily with Irish personal finance and related issues.

I have no idea what the references to "the Church" are all about.
Or OTT/OTC transactions.
Or birds.

To be honest, not much in your posts in this thread makes much sense so far.
You really need to post more clearly if you are genuinely seeking advice/suggestions.
The Money Makeover template would make more sense and should help to eliminate confusing and distracting references to things that are not relevant.

Last edited:
As if this thread isnt bizarre enough and then Rasputin gets involved. I'm now humming that Boney M tune.

Last edited:
As of this thread isnt bizarre enough and then Rasputin gets involved. I'm now humming that Boney M tune.
And given that the church has been mentioned a couple of times now should we not be also humming "Mary's boy child/oh my lord" as well