Help with selling house decision

martha

Looking for some advice please.

My husband will probably lose his job during the pandemic. The company he worked for have told him they will not be reopening in 2020 and it's proving difficult to find a new job right now.

I earn 200 per week minding kids in my own house and I am very happy with that and have no plans to take on anymore mindees
or try to earn any extra weekly money.

Husband getting PUP 350
So we have 550 per week coming into our house at the moment.

2 kids aged 11 and 13.

We have a house which we own with no mortgage and rent out for 800 pm (below market value). This house is worth 300,000.

We have a 2nd house which we live in which has a mortgage of 70,000. We pay 500 pm.

We owe 18,000 in loans (car loan, home improvement loan)

No savings or pensions

I think we should sell the first house, pay off the mortgage and put the balance into savings for kids college etc.

He thinks hold tight, he will get a new job eventually and we should keep the house as a sort of pension.

I hope this all makes sense. Should we try to get the call rolling on selling the house now (ie give notice to tenants) or scrape by and hope for things to turn around and life and earnings to go back to "normal"
Thanks
Martha

We have a house which we own with no mortgage and rent out for 800 pm (below market value). This house is worth 300,000.

Seek to raise rent if it's not in an RPZ.

A realistic rent for a €300k house is more like €1500 pcm in most parts of country.

A very low rent that can only be raised by 4% pa will really reduce the value.

Thanks. We are in a RPZ unfortunately. The area only became a RPZ in the last year or 2.

I'd be thinking along the lines of selling the house, clearing the mortgage, putting a lump sum into a pension (edit: typo read mortgage)and putting most of the balance into an investment fund for college fees etc.
Can you sell a house with sitting tenants at the moment?

Last edited:
That really is a terrible return - the rent must be way under market value.

In your shoes, I would sell the rental, clear all your debts and put the balance in 5-Year State Savings Certs.

Thanks. The market value is about 1200. We rent it cheap to people we knew would look after it for us and they have. I think you can give notice that you are selling since 1st August. I never thought we would need to sell, hence the reason I didn't worry about increasing the rent.

Depending on when you last increased the rent, you should be able to increase much more than 4%. You can always increase the rent to say 900 or whatever is permitted subject to the RPZ rules and still only collect the 800 euro from the tenants. That way your house is rented to the maximum (for resale purposes) without impact the current tenants.

Seek to raise rent if it's not in an RPZ.

A realistic rent for a €300k house is more like €1500 pcm in most parts of country.

A very low rent that can only be raised by 4% pa will really reduce the value.
I don't get this... If you sell the house then the new owner sets up a new rental agreement with existing or new tenant,ie not governed by previous rental agreement with previous owner surely? I'm pretty certain if I buy a house in a RPZ then I'm entitled to set the rent at current market rent and increase by no more than 4% thereafter. What happened previously in that property is irrelevant, hence zero impact on sale price or market value

Last edited:
It's a family home with 5 bedrooms and a large garden etc and it would more than likely be bought by a family to live in and not rented out.

Depending on when you last increased the rent, you should be able to increase much more than 4%. You can always increase the rent to say 900 or whatever is permitted subject to the RPZ rules and still only collect the 800 euro from the tenants. That way your house is rented to the maximum (for resale purposes) without impact the current tenants.
So are you saying to declare a higher rent and pay more tax etc, but actually collect less rent from the tenants? Also are you saying that you can increase the rent by 8% this year if you didn't increase at all last year?

So are you saying to declare a higher rent and pay more tax etc, but actually collect less rent from the tenants? Also are you saying that you can increase the rent by 8% this year if you didn't increase at all last year?

Check out the rtb calculator. Put in yr last rent review. And it will tell u the maximum u can increase it to now. Then increase 4% every year without fail.

Re tax. If u rent for 1000 a month. And yr tenant pays nothing. Do u think the taxman will want tax from you for no income received. Of course not. Do if yr rent per contract is 1000 s d you collect it receive 800 a month. Yr income is 800 so pay tax on that accordingly.

Check out the rtb calculator. Put in yr last rent review. And it will tell u the maximum u can increase it to now. Then increase 4% every year without fail.

Re tax. If u rent for 1000 a month. And yr tenant pays nothing. Do u think the taxman will want tax from you for no income received. Of course not. Do if yr rent per contract is 1000 s d you collect it receive 800 a month. Yr income is 800 so pay tax on that accordingly.
Some great advice there, it's getting complicated to keep up with renting rules for a landlord but above is very useful

Thanks. The market value is about 1200. We rent it cheap to people we knew would look after it for us and they have. I think you can give notice that you are selling since 1st August. I never thought we would need to sell, hence the reason I didn't worry about increasing the rent.
Are you renting it out to someone you know and not declaring the rental income to revenue? If this is the case you should probably sell before your taxes catch up with you .

This seems to be very much a case of asset rich but poor cash flow right now. You have a 300k asset and debts of 88k including PPR. So you have a net worth of 210k plus your PPR! You shouldn't be struggling day to day with that wealth... So if husband doesn't get a job soon or if cash flow situation doesn't improve sufficiently then I would sell other house immediately... Life is too short. What is value of PPR... Moving into rental and selling PPR probably not an option to free up even more equity for long term?

Last edited:
What age bracket is your husband, (may have missed that in the writing somewhere) guessing with kids of that age probably in the 40s. I wouldn't be to quick to sell the rental. Not a great return, but a steady one. Not to be over looked in this dysfunctional sector.

He will pick up something im sure of that. Maybe not the same income, but you guys are in a better position than most. I would park the rental, (which is a bonus to have). Selling that would be the last resort when all else fails. Give it time and dont spook your loyal tenants, but start the increase in rent now. This is your pension of the future and will be difficult to replace when you need it most.

We know them but we are 100% declaring it and paying tax on it. We weren't relying on the rental income pre Covid and most of it went in tax.

I'm 43, husband is 40

My husband worked full time in a restaurant as a manager on good wages and also plays in a band and does some solo gigs at the weekend and some week nights. He did a lot of weddings.

Obviously we should have saved when we had the chance but we didn't.

We can't really pay all of our bills at the moment never mind go out for a meal or a staycation but have a house worth 300k and it's playing on my mind a lot.

PPR is worth 280,000.
We don't intend to sell though, we will live here forever hopefully!!

Back