Heating controls upgrade - Contractor issues

TestyUser1

Hi all,

My issue relates to the plumbing contractor we chose for upgrading the heating controls and replacing our slowly failing boiler.
On our first interaction the contractor specified that he would not be providing an electrician and I would have to get one myself. We both agreed the price and to proceed. He delivered and fitted the TRVs, additional water pump (for hot water) and new boiler. Everything was connected to one zone and upon leaving it worked perfectly. He left his SEAI (BEH number) and RGII number and said to contact him to sign off once the system is fully hooked up. His details were added to the DoW for SEAI purposes.
Fast forward a few months and we managed to get an electrician in to connect the controls to our boiler. At this point, we contact our original contractor to sign off on the work. He then drops the bombshell that he will not sign off on any other electricians work. We offer him the option of returning with his own electrician to examine the work and sign off but he refused. We then resort to contacting the SEAI who launch an investigation into the circumstances.
The SEAI return to him to say that he must sign the DoW as the primary contractor. He then turns to us requesting a letter absolving him of responsibility to do with the electrics related to the system.

Any advice here on how to proceed? Does such a letter have any legal standing? This is causing huge stress and annoyance and our grant application expires at the end on the month.

Maybe i'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that all Electricial work has to be carried out by a RECI (registered electrician)or equivalent and they alone can sign off on the work.

Yes the electrician is RECI (SAFE electric certified) but the issue is that the SEAI will only allow one contractor to sign off on any declaration of works and they must be BEH (better energy homes scheme) registered.

TestyUser - the electrician should have given you a certificate to cover the electrical work he carried out - required for all electrical work. That should be given to the plumber, which should satisfy him that the work done by your electrician is in accordance with latest regulations. Then the plumber (SEAI registered I assume) should sign off the overall work done as part of the SEAI grant.

Back