Health Insurance Health insurance renewal time again.

JustOli

Health ins for my wife and I is due for renewal in a few days. We are both late 60s.
At the moment we have Laya Simply connect. I see that policy will rise by about e20 per month in total.
Is there a better policy for the same price or better still cheaper..
We also have a HSF plan which costs e60 per month in total...
Thanks for any help..

Thank you for your help...It really is hard to work these plans out...
Would you think that maybe I should just stay with my Present plan and as you say the difference is only e50..
Thanks again.

Yes, the advantages of Simply Connect are as follows;
1. You have the full choice of private hospitals for hip or knee replacement.
2. You will have full cover for hip and knee replacement surgery in private hospitals, no shortfall to pay.
3. You have a lower max admission excess of 150 x 2 per year for all admissions.

So it is worth staying on Simply Connect plan, based on the above extras.
If it helps with your decision, I am also on Simply Connect plan for the past few years.

Regards, Snowyb

Yes, the advantages of Simply Connect are as follows;
1. You have the full choice of private hospitals for hip or knee replacement.
2. You will have full cover for hip and knee replacement surgery in private hospitals, no shortfall to pay.
3. You have a lower max admission excess of 150 x 2 per year for all admissions.

So it is worth staying on Simply Connect plan, based on the above extras.
If it helps with your decision, I am also on Simply Connect plan for the past few years.

Regards, Snowyb
Thank you again Snowyb.
I will stay with Simply connect.

Just one quick question..
Would I be covered for an angiogram on this plan without further cost... maybe in the Mater Private..
Thanks in advance..

JustOli,

An angiogram is classed as a day case procedure. So, with Simply Connect, the excess for a day case is 50 euro.
This is payable on the day of the test in the Mater Private or any other private hospital.

Snowyb

JustOli,

An angiogram is classed as a day case procedure. So, with Simply Connect, the excess for a day case is 50 euro.
This is payable on the day of the test in the Mater Private or any other private hospital.

Snowyb
Thank you for reply.

My health insurance is also due for renewal. My wife and I are both in our mid 60s and both in reasonably good health (coronavirus permitting).

We are currently in the Company Plan Plus Select with VHI, which has a €125 excess for private hospital visits. It provides some reimbursement of outpatient expenses and we typically would get maybe €300 to €400 a year back under this cover.

I called VHI to ask if they had anything better to offer us and they suggested we look at changing to PMI 3613, which costs around €60 a year more, but has a lower excess of €75 for private hospital visits and I think also has better cover for outpatient expenses.

We're just wondering if changing to this plan makes sense, or is there another plan we should be considering instead. While we are open to moving away from VHI, the fact that we are only a mile or so from a VHI Swiftcare clinic provides an incentive to stay with them.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Hi Homer,

The following 2 plans are worth considering as alternatives to VHI Company Plan Plus Select. Details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1297pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. The private or hi-tech hospital excess is capped at 150 x 1
max per year for all admissions, regardless of how many per year. Day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.
Good day to day cover on this plan, 1 euro excess, refund of 50% for gp visits, consultants, etc upto a max refund per year of 1000. (50% of 2000 =1000
The main advantage of this plan is the capped excess for private admissions.
Note; No cover for Whitfield Private Clinic Waterford or Kingsbridge Private hospital Sligo, if these hospitals matter, then this plan is not suitable.

2. Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1251pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private or hi-tech hospital excess is 150 per
admission. Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, refund of 50% for gp visits, consultants, etc.
upto a max refund of 1000 per year.(50% of 2000 = 1000).

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

Regards Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb

That‘s really helpful. The 07 10 plan looks like a much better bet than our current cover. It’s almost exactly the same price, the excess on hospital visits will be at most €25 more than under the current plan (and will be a lot less if we have more than one visit each) and the out patient cover seems to be a lot better (apart from a lower overall limit, which we have never come even remotely close to reaching).

I have one further question. As far as I know, you can get a discount of 10% if you are a member of a group scheme. I’m retired and the option of doing it through my employer‘s pension scheme is not available. Is there any other way I could avail of the discount, for example by joining a local credit union?

Unfortunately, the credit union group scheme discount is no longer available. I don't know when that exactly finished but I remember when it
was an option, and being asked if I was a credit union member 6 or 7 years ago.
I'm not aware of any other options to get a VHI discount.

Snowyb

Back