Health Insurance Health insurance on return from abroad.

Limestone

First time poster
My husband and I are due to return to Ireland in next few months after decade abroad. Employer has been paying for International VHI. I now wish to take out a domestic policy.

Age 49; husband 55.

The International policy is very comprehensive. I have an ongoing medical condition that requires medication and regular doctor/consultant appointments. All of these are refunded in full at the moment. No other medical conditions.

Husband in very good health. Has a few doctor’s visits every year and occasional trips to consultant.

On an annual basis I spend about EUR600/700 on consultants, EUR600/700 on scans and about EUR1,200 on medication. Husband would have far less expenses.

VHI said that Company Policy Extra Level 1 best matches what I have at the moment.
That would cost over EUR3,300 net which seems like a lot.

I have been with VHI all my life and would like to stay with them. I would appreciate any advice on my situation please and if the policy is a good one for us.

as far as I am aware if you taking out a new health insurance policy in Ireland, you have a five year waiting period for preexisting conditions.

VHI International policies do not qualify for lifetime community rating credits as I recently discovered for myself. So age related loading factors might have been applied to your quotation - best to double check this with them if its not clearly shown on the quotation.

if loading factors have been applied, and if you were out of Ireland at the time that the legislation for community rating was introduced (30th April 2015) and subject to other criteria, then VHI should be able to offer an exemption.

This might explain this scenario better: http://www.irishhealthinsurance.ie/...-a-loading-on-their-health-insurance-premium/

Back