Head gasket

Beckster

Just been told by mechanic that head gasket is gone on my 94 toyota corolla. He doesnt want to do it..working out of front garden, doesnt do big jobs etc.
Any idea of cost of this job? Any recommendations for a garage on southside that wont laugh at me for wanting to keep this car on the road? Car only cost 500 euro, will it be worth it?
Thanks for any advice!!
Beckster

Wouldn't have thought that replacing the head gasket on a €500 car would be worthwhile. But I guess if you don't, what will you do with the car?

We got one replaced in a 94 Corolla for about €700 I think recently. As far as I know (as far as they told me, in other words) it involved a reasonable amount of labour to take the thing apart, fit the part, and then put it all back together again.

z

€200 should cover it. Any more is rip off. The job is simple even thoughthe cylinder head has to come off.

Your problem however is if the car has been overheating, it's likely the head is warped and needs skimming.

If this is the case a scappy is your cars best destination, as the repair bill is more than it's value.

agree with the other posters - even though it's a tiny part, it's extremely labour intensive and you would generally be talking about 500-700 including labour and VAT... definitely not worth it as it could well blow again in a couple of years time (voice of experience here!!!)

Thanks for the input. Got a quote of 500-600 euro. Can't understand why it would go again though??

Beckster

If the head is checked for warpage and skimmed if necessary , torqued up correctly and re torqued later if required ,then the chances of it going again are no more than with a new engine.

Buy a Hynes manual and have a go yourself !! its good fun and not that difficult

Back