Have traffic levels declined in Dublin?

greenfield

I think that on average since Christmas there has been a marked reduction in traffic, especially in the evenings. There was some opposition to this motion during the debate at home yesterday:).

Strangely considering all the giving out I have done about traffic in the last few years I would welcome the higher volumes back, I find Pearse Street almost eerie in the evenings.

Anyone else want to join in our domestic with an opinion on traffic levels?

BTW, who does collect the stats on traffic levels, are they published anywhere? It would be interesting to check (and maybe win the argument;), sorry I mean clarify the facts)

A simple example. I queue on the Belgard road nightly. 12 months ago in rush hour I would usually be queued back past the fire station and it could take around 20 minutes to get through the lights

Now the queue starts at lease 3-400 meteres onwards and my queuing time is usually 6-8 minutes and often less

Having said all of that, we were in the North on Saturday, thankfully passed through Newry at around 7.30am on our way to Sprucefield with no issues. Coming back south around 1pm, traffic going North was queuing from Newry back to within a couple of hundred yards of the border. Didn't seem to be any crashes causing delays

My route from Walkinstown to Pearse St at 7.30am used to take around an hour.Currently it takes about 25 minutes (leaving at 7.45)

Yes, trip though the city centre is much lighter in the morning (7am) and around the M50 in the evening (7pm). It used to take 35 minutes to get in to work, now it takes 25 (in for 7.30). Trip home at 7pm used to take 40 minutes, now takes 25. I love the recession! (Hi Ron ;)).

Yes, trip though the city centre is much lighter in the morning (7am) and around the M50 in the evening (7pm). It used to take 35 minutes to get in to work, now it takes 25 (in for 7.30). Trip home at 7pm used to take 40 minutes, now takes 25. I love the recession! (Hi Ron ;)).

I sat indoors all weekend waiting for the locals with pitch forks......

How dare i have a job and be happy:D

Oh i decided to run for office....here is my 1st speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMBZDwf9dok

Your problem Ron is that you dared to have the initiative to set up your own small business and work in the evenings and the weekend. How dare you be self motivated and work hard! If you find that you day job doesn’t give you the income you need you should moan and complain it. The last thing this country needs is self reliant people who are willing to work hard.

Coming back south around 1pm, traffic going North was queuing from Newry back to within a couple of hundred yards of the border. Didn't seem to be any crashes causing delays

Line painting was the main cause of this delay on both sides on Newry.. I know because I was caught in it for close to 2 hours :mad:

Truck Driver in northern registered red truck didnt help matters one bit!!! He decided to sit in the hard shoulder (which is allowed to be used when queueing) and wouldnt move an inch.. stating that he was stopping people from over taking!

Its not just Dublin.

I often commute from Galway to Limerick. I can now make it in 1 hour 30 mins and on a busy day 1 hour 45 minutes door to door.

This time last year it would have taken anything from 2 to 2 and half hours.

Noticably less traffic since early autumn, except on Friday afternoon - mid evening which seems worse than before. Friday afternoons always had a higher volume but it now seems worse, maybe its because its a greater comparrison to the lighter evenings Mon - Thur.

I think they're all on the M1 in Dublin...it has been getting steadily worse in the mornings on the way into Dublin. I am lucky to make it into third gear sometimes :(

Despite the congestion on the M1 (as micamaca said), I find my commute from Drogheda - Dublin city centre now takes about 90 minutes max during the school term. Last year it would have taken 90 mins at best and usually closer to 2 hours.

Thanks for that, I hate to lose an argument;), however in this case I would actually have preferred not to be right. Does anyone know which agency collects the statistics on traffic and how they are published?

In general, yes. But there seems to be more heading towards the Airport and Dun Laoghaire. ;) I wonder why?

Yes, I commented on this too on another thread. N7 is much lighter in the mornings too.

I had to collect something from my old office one afternoon last week and the whole business park is like a ghost town. We used to fight over parking spaces (between the units) and now the car park is practically empty.

Another new business park across from it has hoarding up despite being for sale and almost finished there is not one unit sold.

Drove through Donnybrook yesterday. Lots of businesses gone. With the Ulster Bank and the First Active amalgamating branches there will be yet another hoarding going up.

Yes this time last year took me 40 minutes from Dundrum to Rathmines, now less than 20!

Yup, traffic is down pretty much across the board in the city centre my contacts inform me. Commercial traffic in particular taking a clobbering around the docklands area. East link traffic down also. Some bus drivers commenting that their own schedules are getting messed up as they are arriving at stops too early!

My personal feeling is that this is a temporary phenomenon so enjoy it while it lasts. In the depths of the eighties recession traffic volume into the city centre was over 80,000 cars a day. At the peak of the boom daily traffic volumes were closer to 60,000 cars a day.

As bus services are cut, as people start working for themselves, as more people start noticing how low traffic volumes are, volumes will come back with a vengeance.

In the depths of the eighties recession traffic volume into the city centre was over 80,000 cars a day.
Maybe there wasn't as much stuff in the suburbs during the 80s (like shops etc) so people were forced into the centre of the city?

Back