Has anyone used Priceline?

A

aine

Planning a 3 day trip to London in November compliments of MOL 'free' flights! Hotel prices seem to have increased considerably since my last visit. I am tempted to try Priceline for the first time. It seems very straightforward and people seem to have remarkable success with very central 4* hotels at very low prices. I would be interested to hear if anyone on these boards has used them - especially for London - and what was your experience?

Priceline

Aine,

I've used Priceline a few times to stay in London and generally have been quite happy the price I've paid.

A few pointers-

You will have to use a valid UK post code on your home address. Also a UK style tel no. I've use my Irish address with the UK codes in the past and it's accepted by the system. Technically your probably breaching their T&Cs but it works.

I've used an AMEX to book rooms. Don't remember if it will accept non UK Visa, MasterCard, etc.

Sometime hotel chains have special offers that could offer better value than priceline. Have a look at www.thistle.co.uk who have a large number of hotels in London. Most (except London Ryan) are quite nice.

www.biddingfortravel.com and have listings of hotels that people have been successful with in each zone. These sites also have some good FAQ on bidding strategy. First site generally refers to priceline.com while second is for .co.uk

Occasionally I've felt that the rooms (while adequate) were a bit on the shabby side. If I was paying full price would have been very disappointed. There are some discussions on above sites about this. I'd almost stick to 4*.

It's important to have an idea of the prices being changed in each zone so you don't overbid. The hotel listings at the above links will allow you do some research so you don't overpay. In the past I've started bidding at about 50% of the lowest rate available and increasing from there.
Don't set your heart on a particular hotel as it is a lottery.

John

priceline

Thanks John. Will study your advice. I did a 'dummy run' last night (bid £50 for a 5* just to see how it works) and it does accept Visa. As you say, I had to use UK phone number and postcode to register. Presumably Priceline would never be contacting me by phone or post so that will not be a problem.

Priceline

I got a four star in Birmingham two weeks ago for £52.00 ( actually worked out at £65 after tax etc. ).
It was great value and a sense of adventure as to where they were going to send me.
Definitely will do it again.
No credit card problems once I put in the UK address.

Priceline

Mossss, did you succeed on your first attempt with your Birmingham 4*? I am still working on my London 4*. I have been bidding every 72 hours for the past couple of weeks and am pretty confident I will land a good one in the next couple of weeks. Biddingfortravel is brilliant (thanks again, John) and also betterbidding.com. After reading the prices people on these sites pay for hotels I will never again book a hotel in London other than through Priceline.

Priceline

Aine,
Yes I was surprised to get it with my first offer but I should have mentioned that it was for a Sunday night and Birmingham wasnt exactly overcrowded! Nonetheless one very satisfied punter.
Mossss

Back