Harry and Meghan

I think we and they vastly underestimate the extent which Britain is still a feudal society.

In Scotland: The Green MSP and land reform campaigner Andy Wightman reckons that half of the country's rural land is owned by only 432 landowners - a picture that has remained largely unchanged in recent decades. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-47963208

The reason Ireland is such a different society is due to the changes in land ownership here in the end of the 19th century early 20th century.
How much of that land is basically wilderness though? It's a very deceptive statistic. Is that arable land or all land?

How much of that land is basically wilderness though? It's a very deceptive statistic. Is that arable land or all land?
I really don't think that is the point. There are thousands of small farmers in Ireland with a few sheep on hillsides who send their daughters to University. The equivalent class does not exist in Scotland.

I really don't think that is the point. There are thousands of small farmers in Ireland with a few sheep on hillsides who send their daughters to University. The equivalent class does not exist in Scotland.
Who send their daughters to University?
Do daughters from Highland regions in Scotland not go to University???

Why does this class need to exist? They are probably only managing here due to subsidies and it doesn't represent a real independent living.

Just heard the story about Harry and his frozen Penis. This is high quality story telling...

Sorry but thread had become too high brow.....

Maybe they’re just better at assessing means…..

In Ireland 80% of 1km squares are populated, in Scotland that figure is 31%.
And how habitable is much of that vacant land in Scotland? Especially the Highlands?

I think the raw figures overstate the difference by assuming Scotland and Ireland are the same in this regard, and how much of a living could be made from much of it.

And aren't there other threads here, bemoaning our large numbers once off houses, with all the extra costs and issues that has brought in terms of delivery of public services?

Last edited:
We have Richard Boyd Barrett though. Not sure who’s worse off.
True but they have Jeremy Corbyn. I'd rather spend an evening with Boyd Barrett than that other unpleasant humourless bully and they are both Marxists.

And how habitable is much of that vacant land in Scotland? Especially the Highlands?

I think the raw figures overstate the difference by assuming Scotland and Ireland are the same in this regard, and how much of a living could be made from much of it.
If you want to live off-grid most of it is perfectly habitable. If that's not for you, then much of it is ruled out due to the cost of accessing services.

If you want to live off-grid most of it is perfectly habitable. If that's not for you, then much of it is ruled out due to the cost of accessing services.
Fair enough, I suppose I more have in mind people who want to shop in Sainsburys, rather than say Bear Grylls or the Amish.

Back